New build, 16x36 grill

QueTex
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

New build, 16x36 grill

Post by QueTex » March 10th, 2015, 3:46 pm

Started the build yesterday hoping to finish by weekend but highly unlikely. Curious if you guys weld the sides closed before cutting out the doors with a torch or do you do the doors first then weld the sides? Pipe is 3/8 thick btw but just wondering about warpage during the welding of the side plates.

QueTex
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Re: New build, 16x36 grill

Post by QueTex » March 10th, 2015, 4:30 pm

Anybody use a cutoff wheel for doors on a pipe that thick before?

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » March 10th, 2015, 5:09 pm

I like to at least stitch weld the ends on first to keep the pipe from changing shape cutting the door(s). It seems that if can cut say 6" on opposite sides then let cool before cutting more it will help to not warp the door. I never have cut 3/8" with a wheel but it could happen.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » March 10th, 2015, 7:27 pm

Man, I hate cutoff wheels. I have to use 'em but I hate to. Don't make a YouTube video of those cuts...the Internet Doesn't have that much space!

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

QueTex
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by QueTex » March 10th, 2015, 10:54 pm

lol Puff I feel your pain have tried them and wonder if it's me? Gonna just use the torch tomarrow, trying to finish it in time for the weekend cook off. Thanks Rod will try that, been since 2011 that I have not built a cooker so cant even remember how I did the doors then.