100# patio size build, need guidance

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: 100# patio size build, need guidance

Post by Smokydokey » March 9th, 2015, 8:15 pm

Got a chance to use my gynormous pipe cutter for the intake air. Don't use them often, but about 30 years ago when I saw it in a new Ridgid box at a flea market for $25 I knew I had to have them. Both lower vents are in and I'm foolin around making a latch that will pull the door tight into the gasket. Then I can start working my way up. (see next post)
Attachments
DSCN6012.JPG
DSCN6093.JPG
FB door & vent
Last edited by Smokydokey on April 21st, 2015, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » March 9th, 2015, 8:34 pm

I need some help here (again). I am confused about the heat (flow) being too hot or too cold. I've been reading so many posts & builds, I've ended up confused. I started to make a big adjustable damper above the fire. Figured if it wasn't needed, it woul be ok just left alone open. In the pic you can see the 3 "blocking" part of the damper. I was going to thake a end or cap and cut it out for the upper part of it. Then rig up a rod so that it would be adjustable. Even fully open it will block about 1/2 the air space. (the tank is 14.5" dia). This can not be added later without cutting. Is there any need for this or should I just leave the 3 "paddles" in there or cut all that stuff out and go to town on the CC? I need your permission for this before I procede. :homer:
Attachments
DSCN6097.JPG
lower par of the adj. damper
DSCN6095.JPG
upper adjustable part (not cut out yet)

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 9th, 2015, 10:58 pm

I have never built a design like this but I'd worry about the extreme heat causing it to distort and not be able to adjust it. The top of my FB on my offset RF gets very hot even with a small fire using wood and my UDS only burns a small charcoal fire to achieve my cooking temps. I know everyone keeps saying it but these vertical style FB cookers are very efficient so I don't know if you'll be able to get a clean burning wood fire and maintain a low cooking temp. This is just my opinion and I am usually wrong according to my wife, lol so don't be afraid to be a pioneer and perfect a new design.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » March 10th, 2015, 6:23 am

Thaks BigT, I think I'll just put it toghther the way it is. I keep forgetting that in reality I'm not making what I started out to. That is a RF cooker. I've been told this by the helpful folks here. I need to be reading in the UDS section, and get this first one done for this spring & summer. I think there is some hope that this old dog con be taught new tricks, just slowly!
Last edited by Smokydokey on April 21st, 2015, 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » March 11th, 2015, 6:22 am

Ok, both air intakes are in, I finally figured a latch for the FB door that will pull it in (against the gasket) the more you move it. It's a crude "cam" type operation, and the CC is welded on to the FB. I'm trimming out the door with what I had around, a little "hefty", (1/4x2) but that should help bring things back in line. I have been careful with the heat, jumping around with my welding, but those diverters in the bottom of the CC moved things around a little!
Today I need to hinge the CC door, finish up the RF or "heat plate", and start figuring out the stack. At this point, I really don't know how big or tall to make it. With the FB @ 14 1/2 dia. , can it be too big? I plan on a cap or damper in the stack for an additional point to control flow. For convience I was thinking of using a 5" - 6" exhaust pipe material coming off a "box" built off the (center) back, up at about 2/3 of the CC height and extending back, away from the CC to make room
for the lid to open up.
Any suggestions for the stack size? Or any thing else you see for that matter :kewl:
Attachments
DSCN6142.JPG
DSCN6145.JPG

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 11th, 2015, 10:21 am

Even an 3 or 4" piece 12-16" long would be fine. You just need some draft to pull the smoke out. Verticals don't require a lot of exhaust draft because the CC has already done most of it due to the small fire needed.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » March 11th, 2015, 4:02 pm

Thanks RC. Would a 4" by about 3' be ok? I like the "scale" of that and getting above head level might be nice also. Is there a need to have a damper in it? (being 3' tall) :chef:

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 11th, 2015, 4:43 pm

I would put a damper on it, because other wise it could draft too much causing your cooker to run hotter than you want. But a damper you could make it go either way.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » March 18th, 2015, 7:11 pm

Catch up time, Just finished the exhaust pipe. Had to make a box off the back so the door would open to where I wanted it to. I stubbed it up about 12" with a 4" sch. 40 pipe with a damper in it and will just stick a 4" regular automotive pipe inside of that. I plan on leaving it loose so that I can take it out for storage without poking a hole in my tarp. The CC door has been giving me a fit not fitting, and I keep throwing more metal at it. I built some latches that clamp it down pretty tight. At most I think that a small flat "tape" type fg. gasket is all I'll need.
Next is the basket and related ash pan stuff. I have no Idea how much charcoal I'll want to be able to hold. I gave up gas "grills" a long time ago for cooking on wood. I haven't come across (in the UDS section) any really basic things about the fire. Is it best to try to load enough charcoal at the start and just control the burn rate & temp? Or will I be reloading more charcoal during a smoke?
If you notice anything that might need changed or a problem, please chime right in!
Attachments
DSCN6532.JPG
CC side of the box
DSCN6556.JPG
heat plate at drain side
DSCN6544.JPG
FB door, air inlet & latch
DSCN6521.JPG
ehaust "box" & damper
DSCN6519.JPG
door latches
DSCN6549.JPG
FB
DSCN6565.JPG
damper

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 18th, 2015, 9:30 pm

Nice work

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 18th, 2015, 10:09 pm

:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » March 19th, 2015, 5:53 am

Thanks fella's.
So do I want as big a "basket" as I can fit in there?
Should I try to design it to be removed and re filled (while hot)? That round hole it's got to go through might keep it on the small side.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 19th, 2015, 6:13 am

I would think the size that will just go through the door will be enough, for almost anything you will be cooking. Vertical cookers are very efficient.

jm2cw

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » March 21st, 2015, 6:17 pm

Just got the expanded metal delivered yesterday along with some other odds & ends. Now building a frame/platform for the wheels, then the fire basket and cooking grates. Getting closer :grillin:

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » March 23rd, 2015, 9:08 pm

Here's the base and the cooking grates. Seeing the CC is so small, I thought that I'd try to put "legs" on the grate. There is a 3" above the HP, and flop it over and it's 2" above. Thought that might be handy and for cleaning. With the grate at 3", there's only about 7" to the lid. I'm hoping that it doesn't twist up when hot. If you notice the 3/8 rod at one side, I was worried about blocking the chimney in any way. Anyone see anything wrong with this idea?
Attachments
DSCN6744.JPG
DSCN6736.JPG
DSCN6741.JPG

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » March 24th, 2015, 8:22 am

Nice

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun

Post by Smurf » March 24th, 2015, 6:31 pm

Nice looking smoker you're building. :beer:

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » April 4th, 2015, 8:21 pm

Pretty sure tomorow will be "burn out" day!! Finished the round pita charcoal basket with only a few cuts (to my hands). That sheet of expanded was the the roughest cut that I've ever seen, nothing but sharp edges.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » April 5th, 2015, 4:53 am

:needfood: :needfood: :needfood:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Smurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Lets all have fun

Post by Smurf » April 5th, 2015, 9:16 am

After a while you learn to treat that expanded metal very gently and with gloves at all times. Don't ask me how I know.

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » April 5th, 2015, 4:37 pm

Well, I got it hot and the paint is coming off! Everything is looking good, that is nothing has split apart or warped (that I can see). Had 742* on one spot with the infra red gun. A little too hot for smoking. I'm figurin that after this bournout, I'll try a fire with charcoal and see how the heat holds, I'm burning it out with oak & some pine. She's still out in front of the shop, burning.
I'm thinking about calling this either T bone or model T for obvious reasons. The next one will be more traditional in design.
Those goofy wheel barrow handles work well and just pull off the little adjustable legs. They also can store back on there. flipped around 180* so that they don't stick out in the way. If everything works out with the temps on the next burn, I'll add a little shelf in front of the cc door and maybe one on the right side along with some tool holders some where.
So far, there's prolly about $150 worth of new steel there and a chitload of time, the rest is, oops was junk, mostly from the dump!!
Attachments
DSCN7220.JPG
the smoke seems to be nicely divided to each side.
DSCN7221.JPG
full cage of wood
DSCN7222.JPG
Not a lot of paint left.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » April 5th, 2015, 6:14 pm

Try to stay away from the pine.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » April 5th, 2015, 6:25 pm

Resins/residue in the pine Pete?
I haven't searched yet, but what is "seasoning" and how and when is it it done?

Miketheforester
Expert
Expert

Post by Miketheforester » April 5th, 2015, 7:19 pm

Pine will definitely leave a little more resin behind than you want. Less smoke and more tar.
Seasoning is the process of getting your cooker ready for business. Basically you try to get your grates and the interior of your cooker to absorb oil in order to protect the metal and give you a food safe surface.
Spray down the interior of the cooker with cooking oil, warm to 300*, spritz interior with water, repeat 2-3 times. Many people also cook a greasy meat when they season their cooker to ad a little flavor, something like sausage or bologna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokydokey
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Post by Smokydokey » April 9th, 2015, 8:56 pm

Did a burn with charcoal & a few oak splits with a pair (left & rt) of econo char broil thermometers from wally world with another one in the chimney. It seemed to hold 200 to 250 depending on my air openings. I can see that this will learning process to find the best way to operate and reload it. I only used about 1/2 of a 15 lb. bag of charcoal. Since this seems like it might actually be a smoker instead of a mailbox (plan b), I'm finishing up some details, shelves, handles, etc.
Attachments
DSCN7226.JPG
test run
DSCN7229.JPG
shelf bracket
DSCN7230.JPG