Getting started: 275 gal. fuel oil tank

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Enasnidx
beginner
beginner

Getting started: 275 gal. fuel oil tank

Post by Enasnidx » June 17th, 2015, 10:21 pm

Well, this is my first post, regarding my first build. I guess I have built a few UDS's before, but it will be my first time ever welding and certainly the biggest BBQ project to date. I have a competition team in MN (The Docfather BBQ) and I've outgrown my barrels. I came across a free 275 gal. fuel oil tank in great shape, liked what I've seen from other builds (Puff, Smokeinthenoke, Dwwantasmoker) so I guess that's where I'm going. My goal is to finish this thing by Labor Day so I can at least use it this Fall. Anyway, I'll be posting updates to the build and asking a lot of questions if ya'll are willing to help! Anyway, on with the thread...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434596800.110940.jpg
I've crunched the numbers in the pit calc and I'm ready to start buying parts/steel. A few rookie questions I have so I can get what I need to start the build:
1. I plan to use the bullet hinges Frank sells. Are these appropriate for the FB door as well as the CC doors? So I can order 6...
2. This will be a patio style like its predecessors, so I need it light enough to pull around. I plan to fab a pull handle and front axle similar to a wagon so I can steer it. If 1/4 in. steel is preferred for the FB and BP, can I get away with 3/16 or 1/8 in the interest of weight/portability?
3. Before I start cutting into this for the CC doors, I've been advised to tack on some angle iron to prevent warping. Am I just temporarily tacking a piece across the tank along my cut line and then cutting it off later? (Clover Ridge Smokers, thanks for the tip, any more insight?)

Sorry, I am completely new to this, so I'll have more questions to come!

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Getting started: 275 gal. fuel oil tank

Post by Rodcrafter » June 18th, 2015, 11:32 am

That's going to be the biggest backyard style I've seen.

But don't let me scar you.

Welcome

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » June 18th, 2015, 7:31 pm

welcome!!!
those hinges will work great! I use these....
Click here : 4 inch WELD on Bullet Hinge for BBQ Pit Fire Box Door
I would definately use 1/4" plate for the firebox and 3/16 will work fine for the doors and stuff.
check out this thread for the angle iron thing....
Start at this post and go forward.....
Click here : Re: Mack

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » June 18th, 2015, 8:47 pm

Just when I think I've run out stuff to say, you came along a re-vitalized my brain.

Welcome Enasnidx,
From your comment I know you've seen my posts. This smoker is now two yrs old and was my first also. Had my ac/DC welder for near 30 years before I really got to use it....but this smoker remains my most fun one to use. I did recognize a bit too late though, that it was not the deck patio style I was looking for. I was and still am, thinking about that child's red wagon pull handle to steer a smoker any larger than a BABY SIZED GRAVITY FEED around the yard. So, I had to build the trailer.

Currently, it's my wife and I. So that's a lot of cooking space in there. A chicken gets lost...I have to follow the thermometer probes cable to find it!

Those doors are a good thing to perfect in design before you get started. During the course of my construction, the discussion turned towards getting a good seal to maximize performance and that's when I decided to change paths a little and now have a GREAT setup with the doors and latches. Good luck ... If I can add to something you are looking to find out, please just ask or pm

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 19th, 2015, 6:33 am

Hey Puff, why are those letters all caps?????

lol

Just a nudge!

:BDHorse: =))

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » June 19th, 2015, 8:29 am

Congratulations on starting your new build. Just remember I'm a phone call away if you've got questions.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Enasnidx
beginner
beginner

Post by Enasnidx » June 19th, 2015, 2:24 pm

Really appreciate all the support guys!!!

David, you may be getting a call or the occasional message FB...[THUMBS UP SIGN]

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » June 19th, 2015, 9:24 pm

RC, maybe just a push in the right direction. Anti-climactic at this point. But....still tryin'

Starting a non tank 60 gallon square side tomorrow. Not the the temperatures suck and the steam is rising off of the ground when it rains.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » June 20th, 2015, 5:54 am

Hey Puff, if you're bored I'll let you weld my smoker. I'll bring beer and pizza! :beer:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » June 20th, 2015, 8:26 am

Welder too ?

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » June 20th, 2015, 8:53 am

Well, maybe you can come here. In that case I'll make the pizzas since we won't have time to do a proper Bbq. :beer:

Enasnidx
beginner
beginner

Post by Enasnidx » June 30th, 2015, 12:16 am

Finally made some progress this weekend! This was my first time welding, but with a little help from family we were able to get the FB welded up to the CC. I didn't realize how big this FB was going to be! I got the rear wheels mounted, and the fronts are mounted on the tank legs temporarily for mobility. My next steps will be to cut out the FB door and intakes.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435641383.039979.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435641364.347325.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435641336.817033.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435641228.263811.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435641184.492355.jpg

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » June 30th, 2015, 5:18 am

Nice! I always thought those oil tanks made great smokers.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » June 30th, 2015, 9:01 am

:LG:

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 30th, 2015, 7:16 pm

:kewl: you're off to a great start.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » June 30th, 2015, 8:49 pm

Very nice start Jeremy!! You will be very happy with that cooker when you get it done.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 1st, 2015, 9:55 pm

That's look great! Another group of memories from only a short time ago.

Something to think about is the close proximity of the firebox wheels to the heat. My dampers on located on each side where your wheels are and it gets very hot. Our smokers are likely near identical and with 1/4" top plate, Frank suggested that because of a swelling of the top, that I add a strip if flat bar on edge to the long center to help prevent heat warp. I don't make huge fires but it is a big length of steel and it made a huge difference in preventing that heat warp.

Enasnidx
beginner
beginner

Post by Enasnidx » July 1st, 2015, 11:29 pm

Great advice Puff. I've seen your FB thread and I'll end up doing that still. Though, I wish I would have just done it ahead of time before putting the box together. I'll just have to do it when I cut out the door and can get inside the FB. For the wheels, I have about a 2 in. gap between tires and FB. I'm going to put a fender in between to block heat. If I need to I can add another inch of square tube to space it out more. Think I should?

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » July 2nd, 2015, 8:57 pm

:LG:
I had some cheap 10" HF wheels on my patio smoker and I couldn't keep air in them so after replacing 2 of them I made some wheels out of 3" x 1/8" flat iron. No more flat tires. They don't ever get too hot either!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x3bzweho6vt2z ... 2.JPG?dl=0

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » July 2nd, 2015, 10:59 pm

I think if the terrain is good with steel wheels, Bluecatfish has the right plan. I had a similar setup with my sons 90 gallon smoker ans extended the tires back and out further. Made an acceptable difference. If you have a chance to test burn while building, you may get a good idea as to how the heat will react.

Enasnidx
beginner
beginner

Back from the dead!!

Post by Enasnidx » May 26th, 2016, 2:58 pm

Oh man, it's been almost 8 months since I've made any progress on this build. Ugh! Of course, life got me busy - bbq comps in the summer, hunting fall/spring, then we moved back in December and I've been trying to catch up with all the new home projects ever since. I've come to the painful realization that as much as I really love working on this thing, I just don't have the time to get it done in the time-frame that I want. So, I've hired someone to help me finish it... :-q My real passion is competing though, so I'm excited to see this smoker get finished meanwhile I can focus on improving my Q.

I don't have pics to update the build yet (I'll load them up soon), but we have the BP welded in place, the cooking grates are more/less done, the door of the FB is cut out, and the CC doors have the overlap frame tacked on. Our next move is to mount in the supports and channel for the grates to slide on and then cut in the vents for the FB.

Of course I have questions! Any tips on the height/spacing of the 3 cooking grates? My opening for the CC is 20" top to bottom. The BP is mounted about 1" below the front opening of the CC. With 1" angle to frame the three grates I've got 17" to use for spacing between the grates. How high does the bottom grate need to be above the BP (is 2" enough)? I assume the bottom grate is going to be the hottest, would you leave a larger amount of space for this grate to do the bigger cuts like shoulders and chuckies (maybe 8" ?) or would you put them on the middle rack? How much space would ya'll put between each rack if it was you?

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 27th, 2016, 9:53 am

It is hard for me to imagine 3 racks in a 20" CC but hey maybe. I have a 20" and a 26" I only put 2 racks in each. I have 8"between them, I really only cook big stuff on bottom rack this allows room for super hot air to move across the meat on the top rack.

jm2cw

Making memories.

Enasnidx
beginner
beginner

Post by Enasnidx » May 27th, 2016, 1:53 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:It is hard for me to imagine 3 racks in a 20" CC but hey maybe. I have a 20" and a 26" I only put 2 racks in each. I have 8"between them, I really only cook big stuff on bottom rack this allows room for super hot air to move across the meat on the top rack.

jm2cw

Making memories.
Great feedback! I'm sure I'll rarely fill even 1 or 2 racks, but I'd rather have the racks made and the supports put in now. Don't have to use them, but easier than adding later if I decide to do a big cook. There's something empowering about knowing I could fit 3 racks of ribs and cook an insane amount of I ever needed. :beer:

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”