Feasible to build a small smoker with scraps?

jtyson
Title: Wastin' Time
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Feasible to build a small smoker with scraps?

Post by jtyson » July 8th, 2015, 3:16 am

I've done fabrication/handyman work for some years now and have always happened across tanks and such. Most of the time I scrap them, but last year I kept one out, started chopping it up to make a BBQ grill, and got the idea that I should build a smoker. I joined the site, then promptly did nothing with the tank. Well now I'm revisiting it. I'd like to build it with what I have laying around if that is feasible. I'm cheap and I'd like to spend little/no money on it.

What I have -

Tank - I believe 30 gallon. It is 43" long and 14.25 inside diameter. I've already chopped a big single door in it and welded hinges on back when a regular BBQ was the plan. I know I'll need to put some sort of strap on the inside and some sort of latches to get it to seal.

Small helium tank - Dimensions are about 10"x13". I was hoping to use this as the fire box.
Full size keg - I think this is a 15 gallon keg. Another option for firebox.

Scrap plate steel - Not enough to build a fire box, but should have enough to build a baffle plate.

2" and 3" schedule 40 steel pipe - Exhaust and maybe frame
2.5"x36" chrome tip from a truck exhaust - Another option for exhaust.

Various angle iron and expanded metal - grill surface/shelf

Obviously this won't be very big. I'd like to be able to do small turkeys, whole chickens, ribs, roasts, and smaller stuff. I don't know if having the tank horizontal is going to allow for this though as I don't know what size throat I'll need, how deep my baffle will be in the tank, and how far from the baffle the grill surface needs to be. If it would leave things too shallow, would I be better off using this in an upright position? I can do that, but the racks will prove to be a task.

I appreciate any cheap opinions anyone may have. I used the pit calculator, but I have to admit, I don't completely understand it. I've attached a picture of the tank I'm using in its current state.
IMG_3775.JPG

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Re: Feasible to build a small smoker with scraps?

Post by Pete Mazz » July 8th, 2015, 4:58 am

With that sized tank neither of the 2 others will work for a firebox (FB). One is too small and the other is too large. If you can make a FB, you'll need a ~15 x 13 x 13 box or something in a 10 gallon tank. Throat size shouldn't be a problem but you have to pin down your FB size first.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

jtyson

Post by jtyson » July 12th, 2015, 2:38 am

Well bummer. Looks like it will go on the back burner again until I've got the extras I need.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » July 12th, 2015, 7:14 am

Take a look at FishlessMikeys T shaped cookers you could do that with what you have there.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » July 12th, 2015, 7:18 am

Dude - don't give up so soon. You can't make the little tank bigger but you can make the big one smaller for free. There has to be a cool way to make the keg work. You could keep the outside dimensions the same and put a false floor in it or you could cut the end off that will mate to the cc to come up with the correct volume.

jtyson

Post by jtyson » July 12th, 2015, 12:01 pm

I'll look into the T shaped cookers. Not really familiar with them, though I imagine they are just as they sound.

It is true that I could cut the ends off the big tank and make them flat, but I don't have enough scrap plate steel for that and the baffle plate. Plus, I doubt that would decrease the volume enough to make the little tank big enough to be the fire box. I could cut more than the ends off, but then I'm gonna end up with something awfully small in the end. So I'll probably just wait until I get a larger tank or enough scrap plate to make what I need.