Burn out question

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
touchdowndallas2000

Burn out question

Post by touchdowndallas2000 » July 13th, 2015, 11:46 am

Hi folks. I am new to the forum and to smoking. I recently saw a guy smoke ribs on a UDS and loved the idea, and the ribs. I am looking to make my own and venture into the world of smoking. I purchased a 55gal barrel for $15. It had a "petroleum product" in it. Until reading through this board, I had not thought much about the previous contents since I was going to do a burn out, and assumed that would take care of everything. Is burning out a drum that once housed a petroleum product a bad idea? Would a couple burn outs be better? If multiple burn outs, how long in between burns should I wait? I did read that a scrubbing out with comet is a good idea and plan on doing that.

I apologize for the questions, and did try a couple of searches on here, but wasn't successful in finding an answer. I appreciate the time and knowledge.

Thanks,

Jay

some days you're the dog...some days you're the hydrant.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Burn out question

Post by Big T » July 13th, 2015, 9:50 pm

:welcome: I'm not sure what was in the last UDS that I built, I burned it out real hot, laid it on its side and slowly rolled it over letting the coals burn all the paint off the outside. I washed it out with comet and a hard bristle brush, let it dry and then started my build. I've heard of guys using all kinds of drums and some guys only use new drums so I guess it's what ever you feel comfortable with.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

SmokinFF
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by SmokinFF » July 13th, 2015, 10:07 pm

I built a mini UDS from a grease drum. Burn it once, scrub with comet and get building!!
:beer:

touchdowndallas2000

Post by touchdowndallas2000 » July 14th, 2015, 7:45 am

Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses. That is what I was thinking, but being new, I wanted to see what you veterans thought.

some days you're the dog...some days you're the hydrant.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » July 15th, 2015, 6:30 am

Fire fix everything

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

granddad

Post by granddad » September 19th, 2015, 10:21 am

i have used petroleum barrels the trick is rinse them and build them the trick is seasoning them after fire basket is ready just start your coals have a bunch of fruit wood add it put your rack in set at 250 add cheap cut of meat ( bbq gods) and strips of left over butcher fat let drum smoke for 12 hrs when lid and barrel has heavy cake your ready some times it takes 2 sacrificial smokes to have barrel ready good luck