UDS intake vavle size

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
mustang88
beginner
beginner

UDS intake vavle size

Post by mustang88 » August 29th, 2015, 7:38 pm

Hi everyone i was wondering if you can use one 2" intake with a 2" ball valve on it for a UDS or is it better to have smaller intakes spread out evenly around the diameter of the drum? Thanks for your input.

If it's not broke GRAB A BIGGER HAMMER

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Re: UDS intake vavle size

Post by The Czar » August 29th, 2015, 8:27 pm

IMO (2) 1.5" intakes and one 2" outlet

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

mustang88
beginner
beginner

Post by mustang88 » August 29th, 2015, 8:50 pm

Thanks DCman i appreciate your feed back. One moor question for you when you run 2-1.5" intakes how do you set your dampers on the intakes to hank around 225 i'm not planing to run it hot just low and slow so i was just curious thanks. :explode2: ya that is what happens when your curious i know. LOL

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » August 29th, 2015, 11:11 pm

Depends on wind and every cooker is different...but typically it's one intake closed and one cracked about a quarter to halfway open… Is usually pretty good

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

mustang88
beginner
beginner

Post by mustang88 » August 30th, 2015, 11:40 am

Ok Thanks DC. So the second intake is for coming up to temp faster/higher temp cooking i also have a 3" gate valve that should give the air of the 2- 1.5" valves/dampers or more. The way i understand it is that for example a 2"pipe will flow 4 times the volume as a 1" pipe but im not a expert in hydrodynamics. Also i do not know if that holds true only under your fluid being under pressure[ air behaves as a fluid ] or if it flows less when it is under a draft. Im trying to build this smoker with as much matiral as i all ready have so i have something to use wile i build my next bigger smoker. My Dad wanted my First RF that i built and i think im having bbq smoker withdraw right now. LOL :microwave:

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » August 31st, 2015, 2:57 pm

I agree you can use all the air you want coming up to temp. You better be able to shut them down to just a bit open after reaching temp.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » September 1st, 2015, 2:16 pm

:yth: i have two 1.5 inlets on my drum, and when starting i have them both open, when i get near where i want, i close one, and the other is open 1/4 of the way, settles in at 250 and stays there, but like DC has said, each drum is different, and as RC said, you can use all the air you want coming up to temp. You better be able to shut them down as well

mustang88
beginner
beginner

Post by mustang88 » September 2nd, 2015, 10:36 am

Thanks everyone for your imput I always like to get opinion s on the subject before I start weilding. Thanks agen

Return to “UDS Smokers”