Good Competition Carving Knife

All about Competition BBQ.
WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » April 13th, 2015, 11:18 am

Ok, for you competition cooks, what is a good knife to use for the slicing of brisket and ribs? I did a brisket this past weekend that turned out really good, I think I went a bit overdone as I checked the temp after I had wrapped and was at 202, like to pull at 196-198 and let rest, so anyway, when I was slicing the brisket, it wanted to pull apart while slicing, so I had to take it slow. I want to find what people like to using for there slicing of ribs and brisket to make them nice clean cuts for competition as I am working my way that direction after much more good backyard BBQ for practice. Electric Knife or just a good sharp knife, serrated or smooth blade? I know it will take practice but trying to use something that will help me make uniform cuts without destroying the meat, kind of like trying to cut a tomato with a dull knife if you know what I mean. Thanks

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Good Competition Carving Knife

Post by Rodcrafter » April 13th, 2015, 11:33 am

I don't compete but I use an electric knife

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » April 13th, 2015, 11:36 am

I don't think there is any right or wrong answer. It really depends on what you like and are comfortable with. I know some team use electric knives for both ribs and brisket. I personally don't feel i have as much control with it so I use a carving knife. The key for me is sharpness. Sharper the better.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » April 13th, 2015, 2:53 pm

Same here. I'm kind of a knife nazi when it comes to keeping my knives sharp.

A good 8" chef's knife would be my first choice.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Miketheforester
Expert
Expert

Post by Miketheforester » April 13th, 2015, 9:23 pm

We used a dexter-Russell smooth slicer, but you have to be a decent sharpener. If not I would go for an electric knife, but then you have to have electric at your competition and we ran into electric issues many times at comps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » April 13th, 2015, 9:46 pm

My wife is an avid amateur chef. We have a series of Shun Pro Sho knives that are quite remarkable. They hold an edge nicely and can be honed well on a steel rod. Not cheap though but having used them for trimming fat and slicing ribs they do a good job. On the other hand, we have a GE electric knife that is about 15 yrs old and STILL cuts nicely.

If you go this route, try learning the task of sharpening the knife. I decided to get into sharpening for musical instrument work. The chisels need to be like surgical scalpels and with a moderate practice, it's easily doable. I have several chisels so sharp they will slice a wavy line cleanly thru a newspaper with no tearing. Impresses me every time .

Lately since I'm so bored waiting to build my baby sized Gravity Feed, I have turned to re sharpening the blades the go into those retractable Sheetrock knives. I get them nearly gone....trashed, garbage nothing, partly rusted and covered with plaster and in 2-3 minutes, they are sharper than new. Of course I'd rather be building a baby sized gravity feed smoker but you know how that goes some days

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » April 14th, 2015, 5:31 am

I love my Shun knives as well! :beer:

That slicer looks like it'll do the job. Tempted....

You can find battery powered electric knives, although I've never used one.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

bbroper
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by bbroper » April 20th, 2015, 8:52 pm

I also think that the longer the knife is the easier it cuts the tender cooked brisket. I like a 10 or 12 inch chef knife.

Atama
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Atama » September 7th, 2015, 9:19 pm

Puff- I am much the same way when it comes to sharpness. It needs to split atoms! In all seriousness, I have a few knives that can whittle hair.

bigbook
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
BBQ Comp Team Name: smoker done <nobody beats our meat>

Post by bigbook » March 21st, 2017, 7:46 am

They make a battery operated carving knife. It's sold in the fishing area at Wally world
Shun knifes are high end blades . Worth the money but like all good thing take very good care of them .
Try a filet knife sold by cold steel. 9"blade. So sharp out of the box I've sliced through the backbone of fish while filtering them they hold a good edge and don't cost a kids college fund..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

Post by BitBucket » March 21st, 2017, 11:38 am

I have a Shun chef's and chopper. Aside from being crazy sharp though, the edges are brittle. I've read reviews about folks chipping the edge on bones by using the wrong knife for the job. I let my girlfriends 10 year old aspiring chef cut veggies and now note the tip is missing. I didn't see it happen so I can't be sure it was her either, but it's clearly missing a mm or so on the point. I use an 18" granton blade food service slicer for cutting brisket--the scalloped blade reduces friction and drag, the length reduces the amount of sawing motion needed to make a slice.

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » March 22nd, 2017, 12:43 am

Yeah I've got a German made 12" scalloped slicer(my missus is German so I have to get German everything "cause everything German is the best :D) for brisket, makes life a lot easier. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"