Burn Out?

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Burn Out?

Post by WyomingLawDog » March 19th, 2015, 5:19 pm

Ok, I am starting my UDS this weekend. Got all my stuff from Frank. My question is my barrel is a new drum nothing has ever been inside the drum, It is an unlined drum. Do I have to burn it out? I ask because I have a limited amount of wood to use for smoking and don't want to burn it out with that, prefer to use for the Q. In Wyoming we only have soft woods such as pine, cottonwood, aspen and cedar. I have read not to burn it out with soft woods. So if I need to burn it out even with it being new, can I just use a propane weed burner? I think I got everything else lined out, get this UDS done to Q on for a couple months until Frank gets this mini stump clone plans done and I get it built. Spring has started early in Wyoming, we are up to 60 already.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Re: Burn Out?

Post by Frank_Cox » March 19th, 2015, 6:31 pm

No burn out required bro! New metal will have a rust inhibitor on it but thats not a big deal. that is easily removed during seasoning. :beer:

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » March 19th, 2015, 7:00 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426809606.910022.jpg

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Pblodgett

Post by Pblodgett » September 21st, 2015, 11:43 am

I have the same question. I have a scratch and dent "NEW" barrel that is unlined. Are you guys saying just season it up with charcoal and wood and then it will be gone? I have seen answers to this all over the board from sandblasting and pallet burn to simply sanding it off. Looking for a definitive answer so I can get to building my smoker

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » September 21st, 2015, 6:12 pm

If your drum is new clean metal then you are ready to build. When you get it built just spray the inside of the drum with some cooking oil, fire it up and you can put some type of fatty meat on the racks. Let in burn for a few hours and you'll be ready to cook. If there was some type of product in the drum, I'd burn it out real hot and then wash the inside with comet and a hard bristle brush.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » September 21st, 2015, 7:20 pm

I kinda think that if I have zero knowledge of its previous history, I'd go with the 100% effort and burn it.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » September 21st, 2015, 8:22 pm

I tried to burn mine out and the paint didn't come off well at all. I even tried sanding it off after heating it up with a weed burner torch. Sand blasting was quick and relatively cheap ($75). In my opinion it was well worth the price. Mine was 3 times the size of yours though and it was painted inside and out with epoxy paint.

Return to “UDS Smokers”