Full size gravity feed . Using Franks plans.

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
R290
beginner
beginner

Full size gravity feed . Using Franks plans.

Post by R290 » October 12th, 2015, 10:49 am

I was contacted by a friend and they asked if I would build them a smoker. I told them to buy some plans as I did not have time figure stuff out.

The plans are pretty good, could add some more details as your not fitting that fire box in as it shows. Lol see pics. could also be updated with optional items like removable fire grate and ash pan. The only other item would be make it 2" shorter, less cutting if it were 48" tall vs 50". Since sheet metal comes 48"

I've been packing all the tubing with insulation before welding together.

One other mod, might be the air intake. With the ball valve installed it won't fit through a standard width door. Anybody got idea's?

Decide to just make a shallow V and raise the back about 1/2" for positive drainage.

Notice how I had to cut the tubing to fit the fire box in. Not a huge deal.,

decide on some good 6" wheels

scraps to hold insulation in place

getting closer

Yona2015
beginner
beginner
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: TNT Kickin' BBQ

Re: Full size gravity feed . Using Franks plans.

Post by Yona2015 » October 12th, 2015, 11:55 am

:LG:

Has anyone considered using or used vermiculite to fill the tubes and empty space around the fire chute?

Hun? Do you smell something burning??

Certified KCBS BBQ Judge and Table Captain

R290
beginner
beginner

Post by R290 » October 12th, 2015, 1:31 pm

That might be tough as you would have to rotate the smoker so you could fill it without making a huge mess. Plus that stuff is expansive when heated

Just looked, it would cost way more then mineral wool. I'm paying less than $1.00 a sq foot. I bought 70sq for $60.
Note going back for a bit more as I insulated the inner wall too

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » October 12th, 2015, 8:04 pm

I think you've done a great job.... You thoughts are pretty good on dimensions and I only overcame the 4x8 by using an extra sheet so that would be a good idea. I'll bet that you can shorten the two inches without penalty. You could use a threaded coupler right on the outer edge for the ball valve to be removed and replaced. Since I can't move it through doorways it stays out in the garage so that part never crossed my mind. I did not have to cut the upper tubing to install the chute. Is this dimension correct? It seems as though everything else fit together well

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

R290
beginner
beginner

Post by R290 » October 13th, 2015, 12:07 am

Ok got the door clamped into position. The bullet hinges are a bit small. I'm going to weld on some wings

The next issue is the slam latch, it not so easy to get the holes just right. Plus you need to find the rivnut gun that has been lost for more than a year.

Plan B it's 10 times better. Take some 3" x .25 plate and drill tap on the bench and then weld on to the door and post.

Way better, if you don't like it super simple to move it too, if you just tack it in place. :)

Note: one could use 2" tubing so the door don't bow out from the insulation. Was not about to cut down the 2" wool insulation.

Just add a space on the post side to make it work. :beer:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 13th, 2015, 8:02 am

That is how I mounted my latch also. It has a bit more support

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

R290
beginner
beginner

Post by R290 » October 13th, 2015, 9:33 am

Thanks Puff.

As for cutting the frame, I wanted the firebox fully welded, including the C channel

I found with it all welded you could not slip it under the frame rail and get the C channel to line up with the hole in the cook chamber. I was able to just slide it in place, plus it saved my back as that fire box is one heavy son of a gun. Welding the tube back in was easy and not an issue at all. I'm just following the plans and not thinking too much ahead.

"You could use a threaded coupler right on the outer edge for the ball valve to be removed and replaced"

I like that idea! I thought about having the nipple threads sticking out, but a coupler would be perfect as the threads are protected.

R290
beginner
beginner

Post by R290 » October 26th, 2015, 11:58 am

Need to download the rest of the building photos.
Its done !!

I decided an ash tray is useless. The easiest thing to do is just put a pan on the ground and scrap the ashes into the pan. I found I needed to tap on the ash grate after a few hours as the ash was not falling through.
It's super easy to use and very efficient.
Maybe in a couple months I'll buy the mini plans and build another one

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 26th, 2015, 9:25 pm

Looking forward to seeing the finished smoker... Big ain't it?

R290
beginner
beginner

Post by R290 » November 3rd, 2015, 7:27 pm

It is an 800lbs gorilla. Lol. Just been lasy on uploading the last few pics.

I used 0.23 wire for the skin as it works a bit better then 0.30. I normally only use 0.30, but the 0.23 flows better when welding thin metal. I was able to get the corners to match up without over lapping. When welding it burn through to the frame and welded the panels nice. I did not even grind them. For perfect smooth seam one could use car Bondo. My top is a mess as the sheet metal warped when welding the flue pipe.

The other issues were the small doors. The skin bulge a bit even when it was clamped. I had to take a 2lbs hammer to hammer the sheet metal down. I went a bit pass flat as the fire box grows about 1/8 taller when hot. Just hit along the inside of the door frame and it looks good when done

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 3rd, 2015, 9:06 pm

Funny thing is .... I don't think your far off on the weight!

Dantes Inferno
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Dantes Inferno » November 8th, 2015, 2:53 pm

Did any of you guys fully seam weld the charcoal chute? By the pics I have seen its looks as if you have not..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 9th, 2015, 7:47 am

I did on my big gf and will do so on my mini

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » November 9th, 2015, 8:43 am

Great Job!!!
as far as the chute being welded all the way keepin mind that the fire wants all the air it can get. if it gets it from leaks and stuff you will not be able to control your temp. this includes the curbs (or jambs) around the chute doors. they need to be welded solid to the chute. This is the most common place that is forgotten. that is where the spacers go on the top door.
:beer: :beer:

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » November 9th, 2015, 9:47 am

AH HA..... And that is the real reason my big gf has such amazing temperature control with the ball valve only. It is the only source of air.

Return to “Smoker Clones”