Mig welder question

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
cypertj
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Mig welder question

Post by cypertj » April 3rd, 2014, 8:18 pm

Long story short, I'm looking for a new mig welder. Much like everything else I do in life, I am going to go overboard. I've always been a Miller fan but haven't had the privilege of running one of the new machines. I'm really leaving heavy towards the 252 but that little voice inside me keeps saying "go big or go home", and the pulse feature of the 350p sounds cool. But I have no idea what pulse welding is. Neither did the guy that was dressed like a welder working at the local welding supply.

Can someone explain it?
Is it worth the additional cost?
Will I actually use it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

bstory
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Mig welder question

Post by bstory » April 19th, 2014, 3:15 am

I don't know much but it is switches between hi and low output making droplets of spray transfer instead of continuous spray transfer. I have heard it is stronger welds too. Exactly why it would be chosen over a different process is beyond me though, never done it. It sure looks good though...like tig. I do know that when it switches to low output it keeps the arc but does not allow metal to be put down.
I am sure someone else can give you a better explanation than me. I am just a nurse lol.
And I think the only reason you would need it unless you are a fabrication shop is to have it. Just like I bought a 212 instead of a 211 because as you said bigger is better haha. I have a diesel and only pull a trailer every once in a while, someone asked me what I was going to pull with that truck and I said anything I damn well please! Get what you want because no matter if you really need it or not your going say if I only would have got that then.

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » April 19th, 2014, 10:39 am

The range output selector gives a welding machine twice as many settings. Like if you put it in low and you have 6 positions on the amp selector, you can weld with 6 degrees of amps for thinner metal. Then switched to high output you have another 6 degrees for thicker metal. I hope that helps.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Blazer
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Blazer » April 20th, 2014, 7:41 am

cypertj, pulse is whole different animal. I use it almost everyday at work on pipe when I'm in the shop. bstory did a good job of explaining the transfer of the metal. The high and low output he referred too is the peak and background current that can be set. For example each pulse the current will go from 400 at peak back down to 75 background within many times a second, that is where the buzzing sound comes from. Then there is the trim adjustment or arc length which also affects the amount of pulses and the heat. Basically you have a computer with a welder hooked to it. It also use's 90/10 gas ar,c02 which doesn't run very well for anything else than pulse, so there something to consider. It can be hard to master out of position, it is VERY bright (I use a #12) and will give you flash burn's in place's you wouldn't even think of. Normally .045 wire is used. I have a 212 miller at home and am satisfied with it, but if you are looking at the 252 then I would go for it. In my opinion no one would need pulse outside of an Industrial environment.

:welder:

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » December 6th, 2015, 7:04 pm

words of wisdom from those guys :yth: ...
Thanks guys

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 6th, 2015, 10:18 pm

I can offer little that has not been mentioned, other then the 252 is a great machine.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Cooksomerice
beginner
beginner

Post by Cooksomerice » December 7th, 2015, 6:28 am

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk