Used Miller Maddock 140. What should I be looking for?

Talk about welders and metal working equipment.
Cooksomerice
beginner
beginner

Used Miller Maddock 140. What should I be looking for?

Post by Cooksomerice » December 7th, 2015, 6:35 am

OK guys from my previous posts shopping machines for my project. On my way to view a Millermatic 140 this morning. New yo Welding, so Not sure what to look for. any advice would be helpful. I just want to know Not a not a total POS.
The unit is probably three years old. Price $450

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Used Miller Maddock 140. What should I be looking for?

Post by Rodcrafter » December 7th, 2015, 7:06 am

I never used a machine that small but Miller is hard to beat.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Cooksomerice
beginner
beginner

Post by Cooksomerice » December 7th, 2015, 8:14 am

I'm also looking at a Hobart 210 MVP today. If you had to choose between the two is it a coin flip since they are essentially the same manufacturer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

Post by BitBucket » December 7th, 2015, 2:04 pm

I don't claim to be anything more than a hobbyist welder, but I'm a fool for specs.

Assuming what I read is correct, besides the dual voltage option of the Hobart 210 MVP vs. 115 only for the Miller, max material thickness rating is greater as well. (3/8 for the Hobart 210 vs the 3/16 of the Miller 140).

Duty cycles are similar for the 115v option (20% for both) , but you can supposedly run longer on the 210 if you use 230v, @30% duty cycle.

It depends what you are planning to work in terms of material thickness and how dedicated you are to prepping your edges with beveling and so forth how far you can take each welder. Hope that helps.
--Bb

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius

Cooksomerice
beginner
beginner

Post by Cooksomerice » December 7th, 2015, 5:27 pm

ImageImageImage

Cooksomerice
beginner
beginner

Post by Cooksomerice » December 7th, 2015, 5:29 pm

Chose the millermatic. $450.00 got me everything you see and like someone just said, if I'm patient and do a good bevel job, it should be plenty of welder for me. I'm pumped! I'm pleased too because it seems like new and I have a dealer nearby if I have any trouble.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 10th, 2015, 11:22 pm

you got a good deal. thats a nice little machine, and it came with an actual flow meter not just the low end cheap gauge.

I would look to see if you can find a co 2 tank..... scuba tank size. there cheap, there also cheap to fill.

then you can buy the less expensive wire in a 10 lb roll. you will save way more in wire then you will spend on gas and tank.

co2 also runs a tiny bit hotter then c25 gas and also hotter then flux wire. Purdy welds as well. Zero clean up.

You can use the same flow meter but you will need a little adapter to fit the co2 bottle.

nice find.

If anyone is looking for a miller 211 auto set with spool gun, we have one for sale. 4 or 5 years old. message frank, the czar, or myself.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Return to “Welding and Metal Working”