A Disco build...or 2...Finished 03/24/12

Yep... you need one of these too!
TrailerBuilder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

A Disco build...or 2...Finished 03/24/12

Post by TrailerBuilder » February 5th, 2012, 12:00 pm

Have seen a lot of posts and cooks that killswitch has made over the past year or so and knew I had to have one. Finally getting a little break from a house remodel project, so its time to get rid of the sheetrock dust and fill my lungs back up with smoke.

Disc 1, a 20", was sent to me from my good buddy Mike in Texas. It was 99% clean and in great shape when I got it...what more could a guy ask for?

Borrowed Denny's design, it looks awesome and judging by all the cooks Ive seen on it, it works great. I had my buds at work shear and brake my trays for me. Here it is marked out and ready for the plasma cutter.

1 1/2" ring around the disc and the tray welded on, just need to break it loose from my saw horse and plug the hole.

Sanded and cleaned up and ready to move forward.

Started on #2, an 18", a friend at work brought me a couple like this, this one is not so clean, but nothing a wire wheel cant handle for starters. I have a small sandblaster that I rarely use, but figure Ill dig it out and clean both disc's up good with it before I paint and season. Notice, the disc isnt round?

Same process on this one, the tray and an 1 1/2" ring around it. Thought the ring might be a bit of a PITA with it not being round, but it wasnt to bad to work with. With the disc being tack welded to the saw horse really helped keep it in place while wrapping the strap around the disc and tacking it in place.

I welded the underside of both discs, I know I didnt have to, but I just like the looks of it this way. This view shows the shape of the disc well.

Top side view showing the shape of the disc.

Named and dated both of these, one is mine and the other is for my good friend Jim. When I built the twin back yarders, he was owner of #2. We hang out a lot and camp together alot also, so I figure the little bit of time spent building him a disc will be well worth it when I get invited to dinners :-bd

I think I have my handles figured out in my head like I want them, so I need to order some springs and get that going. Will work on the stands while waiting for springs to get here, but I guess there is a football game on today and I need to go cook for a gathering were going to. I hope to get some more work done on both disc's this week, but work is hectic, and the wife is tapping her foot wanting a ceiling textured...

More to come...
Last edited by TrailerBuilder on March 24th, 2012, 10:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: A Disco build...or 2

Post by Gizmo » February 5th, 2012, 12:12 pm

Quooole job trailerbuilder! Thanks for posting the pics - I'm starting mine soon and you answered some concerns I had.... :)

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » February 5th, 2012, 1:29 pm

lookin good troy!

There isn't any houses for sale next door, is there? :P I don't need the house, just the free stuff from the neighbor! :-)

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » February 5th, 2012, 1:57 pm

sweet....now we just need a couple more Missourins to build one and then we will rule the roost on discadas!!!

:LG: :grillin: :strongbad:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

KILLSWITCH505
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
BBQ Comp Team Name: kids dont try this at home

Post by KILLSWITCH505 » February 5th, 2012, 5:50 pm

dcman wrote:sweet....now we just need a couple more Missourins to build one and then we will rule the roost on discadas!!!

:LG: :grillin: :strongbad:
you boys ready for a TD

So you think that money is the root of all evil. Have you ever asked what is the root of all money?

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » February 5th, 2012, 6:08 pm

You better believe it!! :points:

AKA= The Czar

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » February 5th, 2012, 6:54 pm

Nice work....and i'm looking foward to seeing the handles

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

TrailerBuilder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by TrailerBuilder » February 7th, 2012, 8:54 pm

Thanks Rick, glad the post is helping you some, be careful though, Im learning this one as I go!

Thanks smokeone, I do have a couple houses close by that I wish were occupied by someone else!

DC, a couple more or even a dozen more would be great. Watch out for killswitch in a throwdown though, either he can cook some awesome meals, or he can take some great pictures of what his wife has made :needfood:

Denny, you know as soon as mine is done, Im ready to TD \:D/

Thanks Smoker Tom, Im ready to see the handles too! I have the idea in my head, I just hope I can make it work on the disc.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » February 9th, 2012, 11:09 am

Looks great troy!
I need to name and date mine I guess... that seems to be the tradition.
as far as the throwdown goes, that is a must! whatsay for an April throwdown? Think you can have yours done by then rick? I still have that frutia wood chunks certificate for $50.00!
Can't wait to see yours come together rick!

Smokeone
Founder
Founder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » February 9th, 2012, 11:24 am

Troy, I can come check out the neighbors palces if youll leave the door open for me to pick up a few things. You know, since I'll be in the hood!

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » February 9th, 2012, 2:41 pm

I'm all for the April Discards Throwdown.... :biggrillin:

it what autocorrected at first....

AKA= The Czar

Smokeone
Founder
Founder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » February 9th, 2012, 3:21 pm

I think i will pass. DC is worrying me again!

Besides I dont own a disco...............................................................................yet! :beer:

k.a.m.

Post by k.a.m. » February 12th, 2012, 8:12 am

Troy, very nice work on the disco's my Friend. :LG: I am sure your neighbor will be super excited when he sees his new cooking utensil. :kewl:
I look forward to seeing some more pics and updates. :)

TrailerBuilder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by TrailerBuilder » February 12th, 2012, 11:10 am

Thanks Kevin, I tried to get a little done Saturday afternoon but just seemed like a losing battle. Was trying to bring back to life a couple old burner stands, but they were just too far gone, so now to plan B and will have some metal rolled at work this week and keep moving forward...hopefully! I think my bud will probably flip out when I give him his disc. My plan is to invite them over for dinner and when they leave tell him he forgot something and give it to him. Hopefully, if my plan works, Ill be at his house for dinner a few days later :beer:

KILLSWITCH505
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
BBQ Comp Team Name: kids dont try this at home

Post by KILLSWITCH505 » February 13th, 2012, 12:44 am

TrailerBuilder wrote:Thanks Kevin, I tried to get a little done Saturday afternoon but just seemed like a losing battle. Was trying to bring back to life a couple old burner stands, but they were just too far gone, so now to plan B and will have some metal rolled at work this week and keep moving forward...hopefully! I think my bud will probably flip out when I give him his disc. My plan is to invite them over for dinner and when they leave tell him he forgot something and give it to him. Hopefully, if my plan works, Ill be at his house for dinner a few days later :beer:
sounds like a plane to me so when the invite

So you think that money is the root of all evil. Have you ever asked what is the root of all money?

Wreckless
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Post by Wreckless » February 18th, 2012, 8:58 am

Right on Troy! :-bd I'm a bit late to the party here, nothing new there, but it looks as if i may still may have time to spend a little of your money. Mighty fine work and I am envious. I guess there are those who have built one ( or 2 or 3 or...) and those who have yet to. I need to get myself out of that second categorie. You and Denny are providing excellent motivation, i'm taking notes. The X1 and X2 concept is a good one, Mackay is going to be pleased to hear you are planning a 500 gal rig next, be sure and ask where he wants the disco placed on his. Onward thru the fog (and mud) to the back 40 and see if i can locate another one of those little gems. Bad Azz dude, hurry up. :beer:

TrailerBuilder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by TrailerBuilder » February 26th, 2012, 11:04 pm

Denny, you know your invited anytime brother, but does that mean your gonna cook for me?

Mike, thanks bro. I am ready to get this thing done so I can see what all the hype is about at dinner time.

TrailerBuilder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by TrailerBuilder » February 26th, 2012, 11:22 pm

The kids were out of school for a 4 day weekend over Presidents day, so instead of working on the Disco, I spent a little time with the family at Table Rock. How can you blame a guy for spending time with the family and staring at this view for 4 days?

Anyways...work has been busy, trailer building is busy as well, and my 10yr olds baseball team is in full swing getting ready for the long season ahead. Its go go go right now, but I did find some time today to burn some steel on the disco.

Decided to build a stand for the burner. I plan to wrap 3 sides of this with hopefully some stainless like I used on my cooker build for shelving. My wife and I have plans for a corner of our back yard for all the cookers and I like the idea of the propane bottle being hidden inside the stand. I need to cut the legs a little for a more comfortable height and I plan on putting a piece of expanded down for the tank to sit on.

Rolled a piece for the burner to sit in, and then welded a plate for the burner to sit on.

Drilled a hole on the underside of the stand for access to the bolt that holds the burner in place.

Used a piece of black pipe and rolled a 2" piece for the disc to sit on and to get some distance from the burner.

Ring welded up and welded in place.

Just another pic

Picked this up at Acadamy Sports for $12.99

Burner in place.

Close to finishing the first one up, then Ill bring #2 up to speed. Have everything for the handles, just need to finish that up, then clean up and some paint. Hopefully I can work out a deal on some stainless tomorrow.

More to follow...

The Czar
Expert
Expert
I'm Certifiable

Re: A Disco build...or 2...updated 2/26

Post by The Czar » February 27th, 2012, 7:43 am

You know....for a Missourian....that's pretty darn cool man..... :LG: :welder:

AKA= The Czar

TrailerBuilder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by TrailerBuilder » February 29th, 2012, 6:41 pm

Thanks dc, hoping to get the pair wrapped up soon, my real life duties, aka work, seem to have other plans right now.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » March 9th, 2012, 11:42 pm

looks great Troy! that burner is really nice!
:points:

TrailerBuilder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by TrailerBuilder » March 12th, 2012, 10:20 pm

Thanks Frank!

TrailerBuilder
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by TrailerBuilder » March 12th, 2012, 10:32 pm

So finally got some more progress done on the discos. Work has been busy and so has life, so finding time to finish the build has been a challenge, but Im on the down hill side of it now.

Had some hinges left over from my backyarder build, so I did a little plasma cutting and used them as handles on the disc.

5" SS springs.

Had finished up a few small details on the stand and got it all sanded, cleaned and painted.

The product of choice for this build.

Had some 20ga SS broke to wrap around the stand. Used some SS sealed rivets to hold the skin in place.

The backside of the stand. I like how the tank will not be able to be seen. You can see the 2nd stand in the background all painted up and ready for some SS.

Academy was running this braided SS hose and adjustable regulator on sale over the weekend, so I picked up a few :D

The regulator about 1/4 way open, nice blue flame with just a touch of orange tips.

Regulator wide open here, the flame gets pretty sporatic here like it is trying to blow itself out, but I dont think much will be cooked at this heat anyways. :exp:

So Im almost there, have to get the 2nd stand wrapped up and get both discs cleaned up and seasoned. Busy week and weekend ahead, so hopefully first cook will be next week! :kewl:

More to follow...

Smokeone
Founder
Founder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » March 13th, 2012, 6:27 am

Looking good Troy! Cant wait to see some cookin going on.