My Mini Build

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Re: My Mini Build

Post by WyomingLawDog » March 12th, 2016, 6:33 pm

Ok, I have been building and hoping to be done in a couple weeks now, no I have not posted pictures of my build as others pics look so nice for the way it should be built, I have had to do some engineering at it's best to say the least. When I am done it will look the same as the outer skin covers up the rest and it will be very strong. Like when I welding in the internal skins, I got a slight bow toward the inside from the welding heating up the sheet metal, so it made it difficult to get the guide rails to lay flat. So I tack welded in a few spots, then used a cheap screw type jack and pushed the rails flush against the skins with the jack then finished welding the guide rails on and the solved the slight bow in those skins, just thing like that. Got a question, did you guys cut the angle iron at 45 degree angle for the corners on the cooking racks? I know I have seen people cut notches out of the angle iron to make corners but was thinking the 45 angle cuts look easier. I have purchased many tools from building this smoker, from my new Miller 211 welder, sawzaw, angle grinder, chop saw and a horizontal metal cutting band saw as my 45 angles lined up better when cut with the band saw. I have burned up my cheap angle grinder from all the work it got from my mistakes and cleaning up my messy welds. I will post a pic of the finished product.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » March 12th, 2016, 9:02 pm

Cool, look forward to seeing your pride and joy start smoking

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » March 13th, 2016, 4:00 am

:yth: Can't wait to see the pics!

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » March 14th, 2016, 9:27 pm

Hi WLD...

I've been very far removed from the computer in the last 6 weeks and it's nice to read about your progress. As for the angle cuts, Frank did a " Smokerbuilder University" video on corners and racks. The 45 cuts followed by a light chamfer allows for a very well filled weld that when ground down cosmetically, remains solid and strong. Check it out.

https://youtu.be/kU48XQ7uZ04

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

TSQ
beginner
beginner

Post by TSQ » March 15th, 2016, 8:22 am

Looking for some insulation too, do you have a link to where I can buy some Wyoming? Good luck with your build, look forward to the pictures.

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » March 27th, 2016, 3:25 pm

Getting closer and getting excited, got a question for you guys that have finished yours, is regular paint ok or does it need high temp paint? I am wanting to paint it with a metallic purple paint, just concerned it will get to hot and make the paint bubble and crack, it is insulated up good. I bought me a good airless paint sprayer to spray it with a primer and paint. Just wanted to see what you guys used and where is a good place to buy the paint, will probably have to buy the paint online as we don't have a very good selection of paint around me in Wyoming as i want to put a good paint job on this smoker after all the work I put in it. Thanks guys.

Weldun
Expert
Expert
Title: I'm no expert

Post by Weldun » March 27th, 2016, 6:48 pm

I too am getting close to painting and am wondering the same thing WyomingLawDog, I have to believe that the areas of concern where heat transfer may occur may be be the ash box door frame, charcoal chute lid frame ,the stack and possibly the cook chamber door frame. I'm hoping someone will respond that knows.

Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 27th, 2016, 10:32 pm

I don't have any personal experience with a GF but Puff built one of the big GF's and he used regular automotive enamel. He checked the temp of the outer skins with an infrared thermometer and said the temps were fairly cool while the internal temp was at 275 degrees.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Baker76
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Baker76 » March 28th, 2016, 4:40 am

The door curb around the ash box get hot enough on mine to turn purple and sizzles if anything liquid touches it. The rest of the Smoker you can leave your hand on it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Weldun
Expert
Expert

Post by Weldun » March 29th, 2016, 6:22 pm

Baker76 wrote:The door curb around the ash box get hot enough on mine to turn purple and sizzles if anything liquid touches it. The rest of the Smoker you can leave your hand on it.

If that's the case maybe a person could paint the ash door and frame with high temp and mask off and paint the rest of the smoker with auto paint, just a thought

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » April 5th, 2016, 7:24 pm

Ok, I hoping to have it done and start painting this coming weekend, got a quick question as I probably would have been done had I knew more about pipe and ball valves. So I ordered some schedule 40 threaded pipe nipples for the smoker inlet air ball valve and the grease drop ball valve. Well I never messed with pipe before and ordered a 2 1/2 in threaded pipe nipple and a 2 in threaded pipe nipple, well I did not know it is measured by the inside dimension. so I sent them back and ordered them in a 2 in and a 1 1/2 in size as the outside dimensions should fit just inside the 2 and 2 1/2 inch holes to weld them flush. Is this the size pipe you used with 1 1/2 and 2 inch ball valves? Well I have a 2 1/2 in ball valve I am going to try and return, I have a 2 inch ball valve and just bought a 1 1/2 inch ball valve as I was looking at the dimensions when I ordered them instead of looking at the one picture that had the ball valve sizes needed, oh well, got a huge ball valve that I don't need, maybe I'll keep it and built a huge gravity fed smoker that needs that big of ball valve for the air inlet or to try and use it on some other smoker that would need more air flow. So now I am hoping I have the rite threaded pipe size for the ball valves. Man I tell you, this smoker build was a big learning experience for me, but I'm about done and should look good one I put the paint to it, got me a killer burgundy color paint for it.

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » April 5th, 2016, 7:35 pm

Baker76 wrote:The door curb around the ash box get hot enough on mine to turn purple and sizzles if anything liquid touches it. The rest of the Smoker you can leave your hand on it.

I was thinking of painting the top door and door curbs along with the ash door and curbs in high temp stove paint which is black and then painting the rest of my smoker with the burgundy paint.

Baker76
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Baker76 » April 5th, 2016, 8:13 pm

Sounds good. I think it will look great. I think the top door and curb are safe to paint if you want them burgundy.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 6th, 2016, 3:09 am

Pipe is funny.

The inside diameter is relatively constant but the wall thickness changes with the different schedules.

Bummer on the extra ball valve....they are expensive to just have laying around....sounds like another build?

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » April 11th, 2016, 10:59 am

Ok, I am down to a couple little last bits before my smoker is ready for paint. First question is did you weld on the doors flush with the hinges before you applied the gasket? Or did you apply the gasket and laid the door on the gasket before you welded the hinges on? I imagine that welding the doors on flush with out the gasket first would create a tighter seal, just did not know if it would be too tight to get the door to shut all the way. Second question is how did you mount the toggle latch clamps for the ash door and charcoal chimney chute door? Did you use #8 oval sheet metal screws like the small slam latch calls for mounting or something else such as rivets? Hoping to put the paint to it this coming weekend, Thanks.

Weldun
Expert
Expert

Post by Weldun » April 11th, 2016, 8:40 pm

WyomingLawDog wrote:Ok, I am down to a couple little last bits before my smoker is ready for paint. First question is did you weld on the doors flush with the hinges before you applied the gasket? Or did you apply the gasket and laid the door on the gasket before you welded the hinges on? I imagine that welding the doors on flush with out the gasket first would create a tighter seal, just did not know if it would be too tight to get the door to shut all the way. Second question is how did you mount the toggle latch clamps for the ash door and charcoal chimney chute door? Did you use #8 oval sheet metal screws like the small slam latch calls for mounting or something else such as rivets? Hoping to put the paint to it this coming weekend, Thanks.
I haven't done this yet myself but am almost ready to do to so, I read somewhere on this site per frank when he uses 1/4" gasket he uses 1/8" spacers between the door and sealing surface to install his hinges that way he ends up with an 1/8" squish on his gasket.

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » April 11th, 2016, 10:15 pm

Weldun, I appreciate the response, makes sense to me. Just need to find some 1/8 inch spacers as I don't have any 1/8 in plate to make spacers, but 2 pieces of 16 gauge sheet metal together is just shy of 1/8 in and got plenty of scrap 16 gauge from the build laying around. I answered my other question as I bought some of the #8 oval sheet metal screws to mount the slam latch and will fit the toggle pull latches just fine. So I think I am good to finish it up this coming weekend. Thanks for the help.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » April 11th, 2016, 10:18 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1460431099.176620.jpg

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » April 12th, 2016, 5:04 pm

Awesome dude, can't wait to see it! :beer:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » April 12th, 2016, 8:46 pm

Washers work fine for spacers

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » May 13th, 2016, 7:25 pm

ImageImage
It is finished and just seasoning it, holding 300 degrees good. Might not be as pretty as some but is working good. I put 5 food racks in it. Weather has been crappy which slowed me down with painting it, is only 40 degrees outside now and is holding 300 like a champ. I do need to figure out how to get it to temp quicker as it took me 2 hours to get to temp and be steady. I put the charcoal in closed top door, started with small torch, closed ash door with air valve open fully and chimney damper fully open. Need to see if I can leave top door and side door open for little while till it takes off good as 2 hours is too long to steady the smoker temp. Is a little chilly but want to cut it down to an hour to get the smoker started and temp steady up to 300 even though I smoke almost everything at 275.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » May 13th, 2016, 7:27 pm

Image[IMG]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016051 ... 9ac2c6.jpg[/IMG

Here it is running at 300 during seasoning

WyomingLawDog
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by WyomingLawDog » May 13th, 2016, 7:28 pm

Weldun
Expert
Expert

Post by Weldun » May 13th, 2016, 7:48 pm

Looks great! Something about watching TBS come out of the smoke stack for the first time is quite satifying.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » May 13th, 2016, 9:04 pm

If you ever leave the top door open you will have flames shooting out the top 2 feet high but it won't help heat the CC.
If it was mine and I wanted to speed up the process, I would put an cast iron skillet or a home made similar container with an hot chimney of charcoal inside the CC on top of the drip pan or on the bottom rack until she was hot.

Making memories.