Anything Wrong with Rustoleum??

Talk about what kind of paint is used on smokers and how to apply it.
Neon.Dove
beginner
beginner

Anything Wrong with Rustoleum??

Post by Neon.Dove » June 3rd, 2016, 6:04 pm

Hey guys,

I'm about ready to paint my new offset smoker, finishing up the last touches in the shop tonight. I was hoping to paint it this weekend. I've read through most of these paint threads and I see a lot of recommendations for things other than Rustoleum.

I was just wondering, is there anything wrong with Rustoleum? It's what's available in my neighborhood hardware shops (I live in Brooklyn) and the the matte black color is totally fine by me. I don't have a paint gun so was planning on just buying a couple of rattle cans and spraying it. Is there anything negative about going this route? Is paint on better than rattle cans? Is Rustoleum bad quality paint?

I could certainly go out of my way to pick up some other brand (I have a Lowes I could get to but would be an hour out of the way to get the Valspar stuff I've read about) but I'd only do so for reasons of quality, not color. I do have an Autozone nearby and could probably get some VHT stuff there...

Any tips? Thanks guys!!!

Neon

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Anything Wrong with Rustoleum??

Post by Dirtytires » June 3rd, 2016, 11:58 pm

I'm almost ready to paint as well. I was planing on rustoleum as well but I wanted to run it thru my spray gun. The big box stores sell it in a hi temp black in a quart can. I have used standard rattle can rustoleum on many outdoor projects with great results so figured this the obvious choice.

I then got a recommendation from a paint expert for krylon.

To be fair....I have no experience in hi temp paint so I'm in the same boat.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » June 4th, 2016, 5:30 am

I never heard a complaint about Rustoleum. Spray cans will put on a thinner coat but probably smoother. Easier to touch up as well.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » June 4th, 2016, 6:23 am

In my experience that paint is fine for everything but the FB. Unless your FB is insulated. I haven't seen any paint that can stand up to the heat that comes off of an uninsulated FB on an offset. So just get a couple extra cans cause 2 won't do. Then when you're done painting take lots of pictures. And don't expect the paint to stay on the FB.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » June 4th, 2016, 5:18 pm

I've never used anything other than rustoleum in a rattle can and I don't have any complaints. I would stay away from the high temp silver, it turns a weird color after several uses and like RC said just keep an extra can to keep the FB touched up.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Return to “Paint and How To's”