Gaskets?

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
stonefly53
beginner
beginner

Gaskets?

Post by stonefly53 » June 10th, 2016, 10:55 am

Hey all. I'm working on my first build and was wondering if you recommend gasket material on FB, CC, and WC? Also if so is the gasket adhesive food safe? Thanks for all the info!

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

Re: Gaskets?

Post by BitBucket » June 10th, 2016, 11:43 am

Most of what i've seen (and am using) is fiberglass of ceramic rope gasket attached with a food-grade high temp silicon RTV.

If I recall MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for both fiberglass and ceramic rope gasket indicate it's a mechanical irritant on skin and if ingested for the same reason. Food grade high temp RTV, assuming you stay within the prescribed temp ranges (available up to 650 degrees F, look for "FDA approved for food contact on the label") is just that--fine for food contact and safe at whatever temps are on the label.

There are alternatives such as nomex grill gaskets--I have one on my ceramic cooker and it does a great job. One might also consider straight-up oven gaskets, but I've never tried them. Most of them come with little wires for mechanical attachment, but this might take some extra engineering on a smoker to get affixed (or just RTV it into place).

Hope that helps,
Bb

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Squiggle » June 10th, 2016, 6:25 pm

:yth: I use the rope & RTV too, thinking about Nomex for the GF. :beer:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

stonefly53
beginner
beginner

Post by stonefly53 » June 13th, 2016, 10:25 pm

Great, thanks for the info guys!

Return to “Standard Offsets”