Double Pan Gravity Feed

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
Countryboy72
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Double Pan Gravity Feed

Post by Countryboy72 » July 23rd, 2016, 4:35 pm

Just ordered the Stump's Clone 24" x 26" plans, printed them off. Very detailed, clear and easy to read and understand. I will be seeking out materials and a fabrication/welding shop to build my new smoker :) I don't weld, so i will rely on a pro to do it for me. I considered buying a complete unit but, by the time i factor in the dollar exchange,shipping and customs/tax. it will be cheaper an easier to have it done locally. If anyone has completed pictures of the same plans or links to their builds and wants to share them, i would greatly appreciate it.
Last edited by Countryboy72 on July 30th, 2016, 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Current smokers :Mak 2 Star General, Double Pan Gravity Feed aka 'Stumps Clone', SS Vertical Propane smoker, Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite Smoker.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Stump's Clone

Post by ajfoxy » July 23rd, 2016, 5:14 pm

Welcome. :welcome:

You'll get all the help you need on this site, great bunch of helpful people.

Do a search at the top for Stumps clone or gravity feed and you'll get a whole heap of build pics.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Countryboy72

Post by Countryboy72 » July 23rd, 2016, 8:29 pm

Roughly how many hours of welding would be required from start to finish of the build ? The high temperature insulation/wool that a guy would use, where can you typically buy it from ? What industry uses the high temperature insulation, that should help narrow down who will carry it.

Current smokers :Mak 2 Star General, Double Pan Gravity Feed aka 'Stumps Clone', SS Vertical Propane smoker, Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite Smoker.

Countryboy72

Post by Countryboy72 » July 24th, 2016, 12:43 am

Went back an realized that i had ordered the wrong plans :oopssign:, so i ordered the right one. The gravity feed double pan 28x25 :kewl: . I have tried searching for a build sheet, couldn't find one. I was wondering if Frank ever got around to making one or someone else had made one ? Figured i would get all the metal needed, cut to size, stuff the tubing with insulation an then take it all to the welder for assembly.

Countryboy72

Post by Countryboy72 » July 24th, 2016, 3:04 am

https://imageshack.us/i/plMbXOC1j

A build sheet of sorts. I will take it to the meal mart an get them to cut all the different lengths needed. I will also take the build sheets an get them to cut the sheets of metal to spec, on there machines :) Then I can just take the metal an planss to the welder.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » July 24th, 2016, 4:15 am

A friend of mine built one and was surprised how big it was. I can ask him if he made a cut list if you can hold off for a few days.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Countryboy72

Post by Countryboy72 » July 24th, 2016, 1:15 pm

Thanks, that would be greatly appreciated Pete !. That's one nice looking smoker. Where is the ball valve/air intake, the back side ? I plan on ordering the hardware, finding the insulation, everything else needed, and then I will start the build ☺️

Countryboy72

Post by Countryboy72 » July 24th, 2016, 1:23 pm

How is everyone putting the temperature thermometer in their door, that's one thing you don't see anyone mention ? Any tips or tricks to doing it ? They're just there, when the smoker is finished lol.

Countryboy72

Post by Countryboy72 » July 26th, 2016, 2:09 am

Got my first quote for 82' of 2" x 2" square tubing, cut to the required lengths. $317.44 That includes the material, $25 cutting fee an the taxes.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » July 26th, 2016, 5:07 am

He bought a Guru to use with it and his intake is right on the door.
WIN_20160312_13_54_27_Pro.jpg

Countryboy72

Post by Countryboy72 » July 26th, 2016, 1:59 pm

Nice, definitely will have to get one later on. Look at all that beautiful steel beside it :welder:

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » July 27th, 2016, 3:47 am

I talked to Smokeazy last night. He said he just gave the pertinent drawings to his supplier and they figured out the cut list. His one recommendation was to lay out the 2" tubing for the door because his had a bow to them. He said his door seal is off and needs to get thicker gasket material.

He's also wondering if having the intake on the door was a good idea. Along with the Guru it sticks out pretty far.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » July 27th, 2016, 6:08 am

The thing is with the valve and the fan no matter where you put it, there will be times it is at risk because it sticks out so far. I think if I make one like this I would put the valve beside the FB and extend a handle through the skin next to the door. That way only an pipe fitting would protrude out the front 1/2" for the fan to plug in.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Michael303

Post by Michael303 » July 27th, 2016, 2:47 pm

Here's how mine is set up and it's pretty low profile.

If you're running a controller with a fan you probably don't even need a ball valve. Just put the fan right on the pipe coming out and get a cap to close it off when you're done. I might try that myself since my ball valve just sits wide open when I'm running the controller.

If the pipe comes right off the ash box door it will probably get pretty hot though.

I do really like the idea of sticking the ball valve in the frame and running the handle through the skin.

KarateDoc
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
BBQ Comp Team Name: Doc's Kick Butt BBQ, Not competing yet...

Post by KarateDoc » July 27th, 2016, 3:07 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:The thing is with the valve and the fan no matter where you put it, there will be times it is at risk because it sticks out so far. I think if I make one like this I would put the valve beside the FB and extend a handle through the skin next to the door. That way only an pipe fitting would protrude out the front 1/2" for the fan to plug in.

jm2cw
That is an interesting idea.

I dont want to hijack this thread so I am going to start another one.

Looks at a piece of meat and wonders how many ways can I smoke that.

Here is my build of the Stump's Clone viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5280

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 28th, 2016, 9:22 am

That is a good job Michael303, it is a low profile too. :beer: :LG: :beer:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Countryboy72

Post by Countryboy72 » July 29th, 2016, 1:34 pm

Frank, the side chute and top door frames....the plans show 1 3/4" tubing. Would 1 1/2" square tubing work, would it cause any issues or be a pain in the butt ? The metal supplier i am getting a quote from doesn't have the right size. With the wall thicknesses of the tubing is it better to go slightly thinner or slightly thicker than 16 guage.He talks in thousands of an inch, not guage :(

KarateDoc
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by KarateDoc » July 29th, 2016, 4:04 pm

CB, I am not Frank but I am in the process of building the Stump's Clone. I am using 2" tube because of the insulation comes in that size, it is also available in 1-1/2" and I believe the mini is built using 1-1/2" tube. I am going with the thinner walled steel as it will be sandwiched between sheets of 14 gauge. The plan calls for 18 but I hate welding 18 gauge.

Countryboy72

Post by Countryboy72 » July 30th, 2016, 1:57 am

KD, Almost the whole smoker is made using 2" square tubing. My plans call for 2" tubing for the top and side frames that the doors attach to. Then it asks for 1 3/4" tubing for the top and side door frames. I am sure there is a reason for it, an want to know if the 1/4" difference is ok, which in turn becomes a 1/2" difference in the end if i use the smaller tube. What is the reasoning behind the two sizes of square tubing on the top and side doors ?. The metal supplier has 1 1/2", he can get 1 3/4" but, it could be way more expensive depending where he has to source it from. Might have to call a few more places an see if anyone else has some. Then my next question is it just better to use 2" square tubing for everything then ? My sheet metal is calling for 16 guage thickness. I am not welding it myself but, i might go thicker too.

KarateDoc
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by KarateDoc » July 30th, 2016, 10:18 am

CB - The reason for the 1-3/4" for the doors is because they are inset. I chose to not do inset doors and put the door on the outside as in the Mini. This is less fabrication and it gives you more rack space if you so chose. This way I could purchase just all 2" tube and use the same Roxul Insulation which I purchased from Zoro.com (best pricing and free shipping).

16 gauge is less expensive and lighter but the difference is being negligible since I won't be able to lift it anyways and using 14gauge to me is easier to weld and it will take a little longer to reach temperature stabilization but will also help recover faster. It should last longer as well and less dent resistant.

Hopefully I will post up more pictures of my build this weekend.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » July 30th, 2016, 10:43 am

Cool looking forward to it

Making memories.

Countryboy72

Re: Double Pan Gravity Feed

Post by Countryboy72 » July 30th, 2016, 1:48 pm

KD, my doors aren't recessed, they are surface mount. The side door is 13 1/2" x 14 1/2" and top door is 13" x 11 1/4" using 1 3/4" tubing and the top/side door curbs are the same dimensions but, using 2" tubing. I am either overthinking, or missing something lol. Time to make a few phone calls an see in anyone has 1 3/4" square tubing :)

Countryboy72

Post by Countryboy72 » July 30th, 2016, 2:26 pm

KD, Guess i should have changed the threads title. I bought two sets of plans, ordered the wrong one the first time, oops.I have two sets of plans and the slightly smaller one is called Stumps clone, Firebox on the right. The bigger one is Charcoal Chute Smoker, Version 2, Double Banquet Pan Size, Firebox on the Right. I am building the bigger one :)

Countryboy72

Post by Countryboy72 » July 30th, 2016, 10:04 pm

Is there a way to figure out how many sheets of metal i will need to make this smoker ? I am thinking that i will be going with thicker sheet metal for this build too :) .075 or .104 or 14 or 12 gauge. I am guessing about 4 1/4 4' x 8' sheets, 5 sheets on the safe side lol

Countryboy72

Post by Countryboy72 » August 7th, 2016, 1:57 pm

I got my quote for all my metal and now i am just waiting to hear back from the welder across the street. I just want to see what his thoughts are on cutting the metal, what kind of set up he has in his shop. I could pay to have it cut on a plasma or hydro jet table. The metal mart uses a shear, i will get alot of scrap/waste. Figured if i paid to have it cut on a table, i would be further ahead an alot less waste/scrap.

Return to “Smoker Clones”