BBQ GUru CyberQ

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
KarateDoc
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Doc's Kick Butt BBQ, Not competing yet...

BBQ GUru CyberQ

Post by KarateDoc » July 27th, 2016, 3:22 pm

I didn't want to hijack the other thread so starting this one.

Rodcrafter had made mention of putting the ball valve inside the frame and extend the lever through the frame which would give you about 1/2" of stick out which would be nice.

I am building a Stump's Clone and looking to set it up with a CyberQ. Since I have never used one I was wondering which fan would you suggest the Pit Viper 10cfm or the PitBull 25cfm. I know the Stumps Stretch uses a 1-1/2" ball valve and the adapter is made to fit the fan. The larger fan could be choked down and the smaller could be run wide open. I called BBQ Guru and was told that the large fan could overshoot temps. Because this is such an efficient design and the firebox small. What are your thoughts on the size fan?

I was thinking of just using a 1-1/2" tube instead of 2 inch to the fire box and insetting inside the framework and building a cover that would be ventilated so that it would be more flush.

Let's brainstorm some ideas and test the theories out on my build!

Looks at a piece of meat and wonders how many ways can I smoke that.

Here is my build of the Stump's Clone viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5280

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Re: BBQ GUru CyberQ

Post by Pete Mazz » July 27th, 2016, 4:43 pm

When we were at the Guru's I think they told us the port was 1 1/8 or 1 1/4". RC will know cause he bought one. As for the fan size, Puff was regulating his w/o one so I wouldn't think it would take much.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Michael303
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Post by Michael303 » July 27th, 2016, 11:53 pm

I run the Pit Viper fan with a HeaterMeter and 1.5" pipe on my smoker. Once it's up to temp the fan only runs at 5-10% to maintain temp so I'd say it's more than enough. The 1.5" tube too.

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » July 28th, 2016, 9:17 am

The dimension Pete mentioned was for the inside of the adapter for the fan but the adapter screws into an 3/4" pipe fitting which is really the smallest dimension. I bought the PitBull fan when I got mine. I did that so I could also use it on other types of CCs. Like Michael said, it runs 5-10% when approaching the designated temp you set it on. This fact makes me wonder why they thought it would over shoot the temp. It does a great job, I would recommend it to anyone. The remote access is great, it will even reconnect to the wifi automatically if there is a hiccup in power or internet.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

KarateDoc
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
BBQ Comp Team Name: Doc's Kick Butt BBQ, Not competing yet...

Post by KarateDoc » July 29th, 2016, 4:05 pm

Thanks for the replys all. I will go with the pit viper and if it doesn't work out I could always upgrade.

Looks at a piece of meat and wonders how many ways can I smoke that.

Here is my build of the Stump's Clone viewtopic.php?f=56&t=5280

Return to “Smoker Clones”