New Build Questions

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Smokinchicken
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

New Build Questions

Post by Smokinchicken » September 15th, 2016, 2:30 pm

Getting started on a 250 Gallon Propane Tank (96"x30") with a Square FB 27"l x 30"w x 24"h and a 6" Chimney 34" Long. Do these figures look about right? How many inches up from the bottom should the BP sit? Intake size? Thanks in advance!

"Common Sense Isn't So Common"

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: New Build Questions

Post by Squiggle » September 15th, 2016, 4:34 pm

:welcome: There's a pit calculator on the main page that will tell you the right numbers & im sure these guys will check them for you. The BP is generally at the same height as the top of the FB & there is a bunch of throat opening calculators in Pete Mazz's signature (I'm sure he'll be along very soon after checking your numbers, he's a bit of a demon when I comes to numbers) :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » September 15th, 2016, 4:46 pm

Welcome to the crew!

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » September 16th, 2016, 5:00 am

Your throat needs to be 155 sqin. If you use my throat calc you'll get this:
throat.jpg
If you want to use a dam or make a trapezoidal shaped throat, go to my calcs and have at it.

The PitCalc shows 58 sqin for intakes. Best bet is make at least 2 and oversize them a bit as they can always be shut down.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » September 16th, 2016, 7:14 am

:yth:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Smokinchicken
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Smokinchicken » September 16th, 2016, 12:06 pm

Pete Mazz wrote:Your throat needs to be 155 sqin. If you use my throat calc you'll get this:
throat.jpg
If you want to use a dam or make a trapezoidal shaped throat, go to my calcs and have at it.

The PitCalc shows 58 sqin for intakes. Best bet is make at least 2 and oversize them a bit as they can always be shut down.

Changed the length of FB from 27 to 28. Height of Throat shows to be 8.462. Would this also apply to the BP Opening? My tank has shallow bells.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » September 17th, 2016, 4:04 am

Yes. Some start at 100% throat size and make an adjustable plate to fine tune it. Anywhere from 50 to 100%.

Smokinchicken
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Smokinchicken » September 17th, 2016, 8:39 am

Is there a calculator for determining the BP opening? Is an adjustable plate needed and if so how do you know how and when to adjust? I've run an offset quite a bit but never a RF. Could you explain a little about how the intakes are used. Calculator recommends 58sq so I'm thinking a 3x10 intake on either side of the firebox. I wonder when the smoker gets rolling how much would the intakes be shut down? Would one be closed and the other partially open, etc?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » September 17th, 2016, 10:08 pm

We all remember that fire needs air and fuel to burn. We can't easily remove fuel so we restrict air to keep the fire/heat to the proper size. The more you restrict air intake, the more you choke out the fire. With that said, You Still need enough air to keep your fire healthy and keep air moving within the smoke chamber.

I have a slide on both sides of my firebox and, once at temp, tend to have pretty good luck with about 1/3 open on both of them to maintain temp. It takes a bit of tweaking here and there depending on fuel load, direct sunlight (believe it or not, my smoker hits 130 just sitting in the sun in July!) and food load.

It is recommended to put dampers on at least 2 sides to avoid direct wind (which acts as a fan and feeds extra air) and remember you can use them independently. Sometimes I run one intake closed and the other 1/2 open.

The tighter your firebox is sealed, the better control you will have with the dampers. Leaking air around doors and seams is impossible to control.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » September 18th, 2016, 5:08 am

This is from the troublemaker that started this all: :kewl:
Frank_Cox wrote:On a small pit like you are talking about, you will not have too many troubles doing that kind of setup. because it is smaller in size it is very forgiving. Now if you were to get into a large pit you may have some control issues depending on your cooking preferences.
I always say "depends on your cooking style"
For starters, Most important thing to remember when you are talking about anything removable in the cook chamber is the grease and juices from the meat. You got to keep them from building up and draining into the firebox which could cause a grease fire.
Next, The tray you are referring to in the cook chamber, we refer to it as the Baffle plate, is used as a heat sync to help even out the temp in the cook chamber. this is done by building up heat and then radiating evenly. If you put water or juice in the baffle plate and fill it up, it will come up to temp gradually but will take a long time to come up to temp once it finally does (212*F at sea level) it will quickly boil off and need to be re filled. once you refill it you will start the process over again and the pit temp will drop a lot. thus you will lose control of the pit. if infact you then forget to fill the pan back up about every 45 minutes or whatever it would take then the pit would run out of water and skyrocket out of control. for this reason I do not recommend using water directly in the plate. Instead, use a pan of water placed on the plate which will produce the same result of more moisture in the C.C. without the other problems.
as far as the Gap in the plate goes, it just depends on the "tune" you want for your cooking style. I design all my smokers at a tune that I feel works best for me. here's a basic run down how it works....
Bigger plate gap= less restriction under the plate=less time the flue products spend under the plate= less heat transfer to the plate.
smaller plate gap = more restriction under the plate= more time the flue products spend under the plate= more heat transfer to the plate.
IMPORTANT= too small or too big of a gap leads to improper combustion on the small side or no control on the bigger side.
WINDOW OF TOLERANCE- big side= size of firebox to CC opening
Small side= size of smoke stack diameter in square inches.

Hope this helps! Did I answer all your questions? :beer:

Smokinchicken
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Smokinchicken » September 18th, 2016, 10:48 am

I'm kinda like goldy locks. I like my just right. Problem is I don't know what is just right. Is there an ideal % of the FB opening that is safe?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » September 18th, 2016, 12:53 pm

I make all of my BP gaps the same as the throat and I've never had any issues. I have never made them smaller than the throat so I don't know if it would perform better or worse than what I've built. I've thought about going a little smaller or building an adjustable BP gap but it already works so well that I didn't want to mess it up. jm2cw

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » September 19th, 2016, 8:00 pm

I like your style, don't mess with what works for you! :beer:

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » September 19th, 2016, 8:42 pm

Dirtytires wrote:We all remember that fire needs air and fuel to burn. We can't easily remove fuel so we restrict air to keep the fire/heat to the proper size. The more you restrict air intake, the more you choke out the fire. With that said, You Still need enough air to keep your fire healthy and keep air moving within the smoke chamber.

I have a slide on both sides of my firebox and, once at temp, tend to have pretty good luck with about 1/3 open on both of them to maintain temp. It takes a bit of tweaking here and there depending on fuel load, direct sunlight (believe it or not, my smoker hits 130 just sitting in the sun in July!) and food load.

It is recommended to put dampers on at least 2 sides to avoid direct wind (which acts as a fan and feeds extra air) and remember you can use them independently. Sometimes I run one intake closed and the other 1/2 open.

The tighter your firebox is sealed, the better control you will have with the dampers. Leaking air around doors and seams is impossible to control.
Dude, ya nailed it......
Couldn't said it better
Many beers to ya!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Smokinchicken
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Smokinchicken » September 19th, 2016, 9:59 pm

Thanks guys! You all have been very helpful. Hope to have pictures soon.

Smokinchicken
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Smokinchicken » September 20th, 2016, 9:49 am

1st build about 15 years ago.
Side.jpg

Smokinchicken
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Smokinchicken » September 20th, 2016, 9:50 am

Another view.
Side2.jpg

Smokinchicken
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Smokinchicken » September 20th, 2016, 2:45 pm

I wanted a 2" drain with a ball valve but my guys put a 1" drain instead. Will this be sufficient?

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » September 20th, 2016, 2:48 pm

Ver cool! :beer: :kewl:

Can't see why not, how much oil do you think you'll be producing? Lol. :strongbad:

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » September 20th, 2016, 6:12 pm

The oil won't be a problem but the stuff on the baffle plate isn't all oil. I wouldn't say change it, but you may want to do the cleaning only when it's hot.

Making memories.

Big T

Post by Big T » September 20th, 2016, 7:57 pm

:yth: I have used 1'' and it can get chunks of burnt grease and meat stuck in the drain. It's not a major deal to run something through it to clean it out but it is inconvenient.

Smokinchicken
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by Smokinchicken » October 17th, 2016, 4:02 pm

Update: I work at a prison that has a vo-tech. You supply the material and they supply the labor. They have been working on my new trailer rig for over a month now. I thank all you guys for your input. This is the 3rd build that I have supervised but the first time that I havn't just winged it. The major portion of the build is done and just putting the finishing touches to it which may still take a couple of weeks with their schedule. No cameras in prison but I will have pics in the near future.

Big T

Post by Big T » October 17th, 2016, 7:20 pm

We're looking forward to seeing it.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » October 17th, 2016, 7:46 pm

:yth: :beer:

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 17th, 2016, 7:51 pm

Awesome free help

Making memories!