reverse flow vs offset pros n cons

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Langer
beginner
beginner

reverse flow vs offset pros n cons

Post by Langer » February 4th, 2017, 7:56 pm

Hi all
Can I ask what's the advantages/ disadvantages of either a reverse flow or offset. I've read you can set up an offset with tuning plates to run an even temp over the full cooking hate which is handy, plus being able to open them up slightly more giving a warmer temp near the fire box which you could then have say 275f one end and 225f the far end to suit what meats/sides your cooking. Where am I right in thinking the reverse flow main advantage is holding that better even temp, my other concern with an offset using tuning plates Would the meat/sides that are above the tuning plates not get the full smoke flavor as is being deflected away, where as the reverse flow allows all the snow to pass over the food. Would the reverse flow produce a better flavor because of this.
 Any advice greatly appreciated

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: reverse flow vs offset pros n cons

Post by mp4 » February 4th, 2017, 10:24 pm

I personally don't see any advantage to an offset with the exception that it might be cheaper to build without a solid baffle plate.

Reverse flow offers more even temps, radiant cooking, the baffle plate holds the drippings and steams the items being cooked with their own tasty flavorings and has a better smoke distribution. To me, it's a no brainer to build an rf...

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » February 4th, 2017, 11:21 pm

You've pretty much got it figured out yourself. I personally prefer the RF because it's pretty even across both racks once you get it dialed in and it seems to be a little more forgiving if the temp fluctuates. I believe RC built his big cooker as a hybrid (RF or TP) and he uses it as a RF.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » February 5th, 2017, 5:01 am

There's more than a few folks that prefer offsets. RFs are easier to jump into smoking and get good results. Offsets require some dialing in but can be made to cook very well. If you're going to transport an offset you should probably add bolts to the tuning plates so they don't bounce around or move. Cleaning is also somewhat harder in an offset as the drippings can accumulate under the tuning plates. A grease dam is mandatory, a drain is recommended.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Rednecks con Fuego

Post by temurf » February 5th, 2017, 12:24 pm

Langer wrote: ... plus being able to open them up slightly more giving a warmer temp near the fire box which you could then have say 275f one end and 225f the far end to suit what meats/sides your cooking.
I think that it all depends on your personal preference and how you want your cooker to perform.
I built a reverse flow because I wanted the temps to be pretty close to the same from one end to the other.

If I had wanted to be able to dial in different temps, I would have considered an offset with tuning plates.

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

Stewart
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Stewart » February 6th, 2017, 7:26 am

From a person who has nEver before smoked meat or built a smoker I'll tell you the rf is the way to go. Yes it cost a little more but temps are even clean up is easy cooking is pretty easy too. That says a lot if I can walk into it "blind" and have such great results.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » February 6th, 2017, 7:51 am

I built both my stick burners with TP but use them as if they are RF. I find that the FB end is just a bit hotter than the other end unless your plate and rack end at the same place mine don't. The heat coming around that plate will scorch whatever you put in front of it. So both of mine allow the plate to go well past the rack to keep food from the flow.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Langer
beginner
beginner

Post by Langer » February 6th, 2017, 9:22 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:I built both my stick burners with TP but use them as if they are RF. I find that the FB end is just a bit hotter than the other end unless your plate and rack end at the same place mine don't. The heat coming around that plate will scorch whatever you put in front of it. So both of mine allow the plate to go well past the rack to keep food from the flow.

jm2cw

Thanks for the input would you have any pics of yours you could share please

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » February 9th, 2017, 2:11 pm

Back yard

Trailer rig

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

SAFETYHARBORREDNECK
Expert
Expert
Title: ChefBoyareyoukidding
But if I were,we'd be called:Fatties Smoking Fatties

Post by SAFETYHARBORREDNECK » February 11th, 2017, 10:02 pm

RF,IMO.And do yourself a favor,build a warming chamber on it.You'll thank me later,LOL

NEVER trust a skinny cook!