A few questions about gravity fed smokers

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
boilermaker8

A few questions about gravity fed smokers

Post by boilermaker8 » February 12th, 2017, 3:17 am

Hi all long time lurking now and then, finally have some questions for you kind sirs.
Im considering buying the plans for the double pan gravity fed smoker but before i stump up the cash I'd like to find out if they can be fueled with a mixture of lump charcoal and wood chips, or even just straight wood chips?
Also is there any reason the fuel chute and fire box is enclosed in the frame the way it is, or could i streamline it some by insulating the chute and firebox and skinning over the insulation, roughly following the profile of both? Sorry for my lack of descriptive prowess and thanks in advance for any and all advice. :beer:

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: A few questions about gravity fed smokers

Post by ajfoxy » February 12th, 2017, 6:21 am

:welcome:

As for leaving the chute and firebox "naked" from the cookchamber and then clothing them with a skin over insulation... that seems like a whole heap of work to me. I think it could be done if you really wanted it but as I said an awful lot of extra work. Remembering that the chute needs an airtight lid on top of it so some form of attachment to the frame would need to occur.
There are members here that are way more astute in this area and I am sure someone will chime in shortly. I built a double pan and from my perspective it was way easier to make the whole thing rectangle. If you look at the ProQ range of smokers they have the chute at a different height to the cook chamber. Not sure if this is what you are thinking of.

As for using wood chips... not sure on that one. I only use lump charcoal on my double pan. I do occasionally toss in a couple of wood chunks with the lump just to add to the flavour.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » February 12th, 2017, 8:04 am

:yth: I use chunks of oak in the bottom of the FB of mine & usually chuck a few in the chute too, especially when I've gotta go out for a while. I don't think wood chips would work as well, I think they'd burn up too quick.
Last edited by Squiggle on February 12th, 2017, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » February 12th, 2017, 9:40 am

I agree with squiggle, I know I could be at risk here. I put fist size pieces of oak or hickory in the ash box and it all burns up slowly.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

chefbrady
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by chefbrady » February 12th, 2017, 2:40 pm

Almost done our build of the same!!ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

chefbrady
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by chefbrady » February 12th, 2017, 2:40 pm

Following

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » February 12th, 2017, 6:42 pm

If you look at chefbrady's pics you'll see that if you wanted to you could bring the frame inside. So that the frame on either side of the firebox extends to the top. Then insulate the heck out of it and skin it if that's what you want. It'll certainly look different.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

boilermaker8

Post by boilermaker8 » February 13th, 2017, 6:14 am

ajfoxy wrote:If you look at chefbrady's pics you'll see that if you wanted to you could bring the frame inside. So that the frame on either side of the firebox extends to the top. Then insulate the heck out of it and skin it if that's what you want. It'll certainly look different.
That's kind of what i had in mind. Also (and it would be a lot more work) but I'd like to round the outer edges of the cabinet off to give the smoker somewhat of a 1950's refrigerator look. Ive got a pretty good idea how to do it and when i get time i'll make up a short test piece / proof of concept and post some photos here.

boilermaker8

Post by boilermaker8 » February 13th, 2017, 6:18 am

Another quick question, would i be correct in assuming that the gravity feed works by slowly feeding coles to the fire (obviously as the fire burns away) from the side? Or does the column of coles in the hopper actually sit on top of the fire and is slowly consumed, think cigarette held with the lit end down as a poor visualization? Thanks everyone for the replies

babyshaq270
beginner
beginner

Post by babyshaq270 » February 13th, 2017, 6:46 am

To the meat heads ...well I have read that getting to the required temp takes some time and recovery Temps also . Is their any specific size to the inlet that directs the heat and smoke into the cooking chamber because I am thinking the bigger the inlet the faster the Temps could increase and recover .

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » February 13th, 2017, 8:21 am

The rounded corners would look pretty cool but a lot of work.

The cig analogy was probably the best one.

I don't think increasing the inlet would make that much difference cause you can just leave the ashbox door open. The best way to increase the speed of start up & recovery is with a BBQ Guru or forced fan system. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » February 13th, 2017, 10:03 am

I agree with the fan unit on the air inlet, you can see when you open the CC door the flame is like a burner for sure. Looks a lot like a pellet pooper flame.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert

Post by ajfoxy » February 13th, 2017, 6:11 pm

:yth:
Definitely a BBQ Guru (or other fan unit) to get the initial temp up to start point quicker.