CC door fabrication

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
StorkQ
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

CC door fabrication

Post by StorkQ » March 29th, 2017, 5:41 am

I recently got two pieces 24" 1/4" pipe each about 40" long.
I want to cut a single large door in one of them. (I'm going to use the other for a grill) Would having a small fire over the entire length relief some stress? So that warpage is minimized.
I intend to please some cross braces at either end to keep ik circular. But putting braces in the center doesn't seem wise because when I remove them all stress will show.
I'm using a plasma torch. I intend to leave the door in place with some small tabs which I can cut with the grinder from the inside. With the door still in place I want to weld the strips onto it. That way everything is nicely aligned and much easier to assemble. Is that a proven approach?

Thank you.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: CC door fabrication

Post by Rodcrafter » March 29th, 2017, 6:45 am

If it is a proven approach I don't know. But my experience with stress relief it needs to heat the whole thing and hold the temp for a while. So I would say it wouldn't do much good, but I never did it. I like the rest of what you said as far as leaving portions of the cut to allow it to cool. Then I would still use the plasma to cut the tabs after. A chain and jack will let the steel know who is boss.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

StorkQ
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by StorkQ » March 29th, 2017, 7:43 am

thanks @Rodcrafter!

I understand that no commercial builder will ever do this. They might use a better quality steel to begin with and don't have to deal with this (possible) problem in the first place.
My drops are leftovers from a piling company. These pipes are welded and should have stress in them. I don't have experience in cutting large openings in these pipes. I cut them of and the occasional hole, but not so much. I can straighten them with a torch but that's always a bit hit or mis.
Stress relieving mild steel requires 1200F for an hour per inch and air cooling. That's doable with a wood fire. It's not too much work, likely less than with a chain and jack.

I can NOT use the plasma after I welded on the seal strips, if I did I would cut in the strips.

I don't want weld the hinges on until I've cut out the door, to prevent binding.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » March 30th, 2017, 6:08 am

Good luck!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Standard Offsets”