Door adjustments

Also called Stump's Clone.
Roamingbirdbbq
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Door adjustments

Post by Roamingbirdbbq » April 2nd, 2017, 3:33 pm

I am getting ready to start a new double pan build. I have built one in the past. In the past the door Seal is tighter on the hinge side than on the toggle latch or slam latch side. Which leaves me tightening them even further. Any tricks or tips on how to get it to seal nice and even without having to apply a lot of extra pressure on the latches?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Door adjustments

Post by Big T » April 2nd, 2017, 4:20 pm

I would use a shim that's 1/2 as thick as my gasket. If you're using 1/4'' gasket, use a 1/8'' shim in between the door and the cooker on all 4 sides of the door before you weld the hinges on. You can also install the gasket on the door, lay the cooker on the back, put the door in place and snug it up with a couple of ratchet straps and the weld the hinges on.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Roamingbirdbbq

Post by Roamingbirdbbq » April 2nd, 2017, 4:48 pm

I have done that in the past with the results I stated above. Didn't know if there were any other techniques. Thanks

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » April 3rd, 2017, 1:46 am

I had a similar issue with my double pan. I put two toggle clamps on the door as well as the slam latch. Seems to have sorted out the issue. The next one I build I'll use different hinges from the barrel hinges.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Roamingbirdbbq

Post by Roamingbirdbbq » April 3rd, 2017, 2:23 pm

That's what I have done to fix in the past. I like the clean look of just slam latch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: RE: Re: Door adjustments

Post by mp4 » April 5th, 2017, 9:42 am

ajfoxy wrote:I had a similar issue with my double pan. I put two toggle clamps on the door as well as the slam latch. Seems to have sorted out the issue. The next one I build I'll use different hinges from the barrel hinges.
What type of hinge would you use?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » April 5th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Ones with longer and larger legs on the barrel part. Locally in Aus I can get them with a ball bearing in the top and a grease nipple. They are a whole heap larger and I should only need two.
I found with the large, heavy door of the DP it needed three of the smaller barrel hinges and they were a pain to weld on so that the hinges did not fight with each other. Possibly did have something to do with my welding ability ... :D

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » April 5th, 2017, 7:40 pm

A lot of the commercial built smokers use a large piano hinge that runs the full length of the door.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: RE: Re: Door adjustments

Post by mp4 » April 5th, 2017, 7:42 pm

Big T wrote:A lot of the commercial built smokers use a large piano hinge that runs the full length of the door.
That's what I used for my first build. It seems to me some folks didn't have good luck with them in the past so I stopped looking for them. I may have to give them another looksee.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » April 5th, 2017, 8:35 pm

I think those bullet hinges from UDS parts work great I have used them now a couple times and really like them. They have grease fittings too

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Roamingbirdbbq

Post by Roamingbirdbbq » April 5th, 2017, 10:11 pm

I have experienced the same problem with weld on butt hinges and barrel hinges. Thank you all for chiming in. I like the barrel hinges smooth and no play. Just going to be sure that I install them correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”