My BBQ competitions so far

If you just want to shoot the breeze or find out what's going on at SmokerBuilders, try here.
TexasN1880
beginner
beginner

My BBQ competitions so far

Post by TexasN1880 » April 21st, 2017, 8:57 am

Well I just wanted to give everyone an update on how I've been doing so far with my VFW competitions.
The first one we did we got 2nd in ribs,3rd in brisket, 3rd in dessert, 2nd in chili.
On out 2nd competition we got 1st in dessert, 2nd in ribs, 3rd in beans, 4th in chili.

I am having some trouble with my chicken. Honestly its some of the best I've ever done. Its extremely moist and has great flavor. The part I'm having trouble on is crisping up the skin. Any advice???

I'm going to try using some oil before I put the run on for the next competition.

Any advice would be appreciated.

cheers boys

mrshaund
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Captn Flaskies BBQ

Re: My BBQ competitions so far

Post by mrshaund » April 21st, 2017, 3:03 pm

Congrats, I am doing my first comp here in august hoping my mini will be done for it lol. As for the chicken if you want it more crispy try turning your heat up at the end higher until you get what you want from it. I was doing mine in a drum and have it so I can lower my rack to just above my fire basket.
Last edited by mrshaund on April 22nd, 2017, 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Re: My BBQ competitions so far

Post by Pete Mazz » April 22nd, 2017, 4:12 am

You can remove the skin and scrape the fat from the back and put it back on. Salting the skin works as well. Higher heat is a must.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Return to “Let's Talk!”