Door gap problems need some suggestions!

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Jasonadams1979
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Door gap problems need some suggestions!

Post by Jasonadams1979 » July 23rd, 2017, 9:27 am

Welded on my CC door flange yesterday and when I closed the door down I have about an 1/8 gap on the right side corner and even less on the left. I cut the door out with a Metabo so I didn't think heat would be an issue and cause warpage but it twisted slightly. Guess it's just natural for it to move some no matter what you do? This is my first build so just wanted to see If any of you pros can offer some expert advice!? FYI my CC door hinges are just tacked on so cutting them loose wouldn't be a major deal If I needed to readjust in any way. I also thought about latches to draw it in but seems like the easy way out and would always bother me not to try to fix it properly if possible. Hopefully you can see from the pics my issue and I can get it fixed with some good advice from you guys! Thanks in advanced for any help, really ready to fire this thing up and make some Q!ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Door gap problems need some suggestions!

Post by Big T » July 23rd, 2017, 1:39 pm

Sometimes they warp due to the stress in the metal and there's not really anything that you can do to prevent it. This is the method that a lot of us have used to straighten our doors. viewtopic.php?f=148&t=3344. I would recommend removing the door anyway if you're going to put on gaskets. You have to allow spacing half as thick as the gasket that you plan on using or it'll cause binding issues. You are doing a great job so like you said there's no reason to cut any corners now.
:LG:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » July 23rd, 2017, 4:38 pm

:yth:
BigT has given you excellent advice. And yes, it is looking good so far.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Jasonadams1979
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Jasonadams1979 » July 23rd, 2017, 6:14 pm

Thanks Big T ! Tried your link but I can't seem to get it to work. I've read some stuff on here about gasket application though but just briefly, guess that was an oversight when I started building this thing, too much in a damn hurry haha. So I might need a step by step how to on that as far as best type, application, etc I'm a little lost you could say. I am newbe ya know lol!

Big T

Post by Big T » July 23rd, 2017, 8:15 pm

It works for me but if it doesn't work you can look in the fabrication section and scroll down until you see How to fix a sprung door(jack and chain method). I like to use the fiberglass rope gasket (3/8'' or 1/2'')on my curved doors, it takes up any small gaps that you might have. I glue the gasket to the inside of my door strapping with high temp RTV (red) and let it cure for 24 hours. I put my door in place and gently snug it down with a couple of ratchet straps and then weld the hinges in place. You can also use a spacer half as thick as the gasket you're going to use and weld the hinges that way. I prefer the strap method because if your door isn't a perfect fit the shims might not work as well.

Jasonadams1979
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: RE: Re: Door gap problems need some suggestions!

Post by Jasonadams1979 » July 23rd, 2017, 8:29 pm

Big T wrote:It works for me but if it doesn't work you can look in the fabrication section and scroll down until you see How to fix a sprung door(jack and chain method). I like to use the fiberglass rope gasket (3/8'' or 1/2'')on my curved doors, it takes up any small gaps that you might have. I glue the gasket to the inside of my door strapping with high temp RTV (red) and let it cure for 24 hours. I put my door in place and gently snug it down with a couple of ratchet straps and then weld the hinges in place. You can also use a spacer half as thick as the gasket you're going to use and weld the hinges that way. I prefer the strap method because if your door isn't a perfect fit the shims might not work as well.
Maybe it's just my phone app I use but I'll try it on the full site forum on my computer. But man thanks so much for the info that makes total since to me now! Guess I'll be ordering some gasket tomorrow and luckily I have tons of high temp RTV at work [emoji106] . I'll definitely let you know how it all works out!

Jasonadams1979
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Jasonadams1979 » July 24th, 2017, 9:20 pm

Big T wrote:It works for me but if it doesn't work you can look in the fabrication section and scroll down until you see How to fix a sprung door(jack and chain method). I like to use the fiberglass rope gasket (3/8'' or 1/2'')on my curved doors, it takes up any small gaps that you might have. I glue the gasket to the inside of my door strapping with high temp RTV (red) and let it cure for 24 hours. I put my door in place and gently snug it down with a couple of ratchet straps and then weld the hinges in place. You can also use a spacer half as thick as the gasket you're going to use and weld the hinges that way. I prefer the strap method because if your door isn't a perfect fit the shims might not work as well.
One other question for ya Big T. I'm looking at the http://bbqsmokersupply.com/bbq-gaskets/ ... -seal.html. Can the width of it be cut ? It says 1/2" x 1.5"x 12' my flange lip is 1" overlap. So I would need to trim it up just wasn't sure how easy that stuff is to work with as far cutting to size maybe a dumb ? but wanted to make sure before I order it.

Big T

Post by Big T » July 24th, 2017, 9:57 pm

I don't know if you can trim it down or not but it would probably be pretty tough to cut. I use a regular fiberglass rope style gasket and glue it down with the red RTV.

Jasonadams1979
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Jasonadams1979 » July 24th, 2017, 10:40 pm

Big T wrote:I don't know if you can trim it down or not but it would probably be pretty tough to cut. I use a regular fiberglass rope style gasket and glue it down with the red RTV.
Yeah I was looking at the wrong stuff, found what you were talking about on bbqgaskets.com. They have so many different types to choose from just got in a hurry the other stuff wasn't rope style. I'm assuming this is it? comes in a few sizes 1/2 , 3/8 like you were sayingImage

Big T

Post by Big T » July 24th, 2017, 11:19 pm

That's what I use and it works pretty good, I have one that I built almost 5 years ago and it still seals up tight.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » July 26th, 2017, 6:46 am

I like it too

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”