Smoker Size and Fuel Consumption

Forum questions and assistance
Canada-Q
beginner
beginner
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Smoker Size and Fuel Consumption

Post by Canada-Q » August 4th, 2017, 11:29 am

Hi All,

I've recently purchased plans for a 48" by 24" diameter reverse flow smoker. However, I am starting to think I may have sized it a little bigger than I need, as I will mainly be using it for weekend family BBQ's feeding about 4-8 people at a time. I plan on cooking all cuts of meat (ribs, brisket, pork shoulders, etc.) but I'm wondering if anyone could let me know if this might be a bit over sized for my needs?

Also, just out of curiosity, if I plan on running it on charcoal with wood chunks added for smoke, what volume of charcoal should I be expecting to use over the course of say an 8 hour cook?

Thanks for all the help!

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Re: Smoker Size and Fuel Consumption

Post by Rodcrafter » August 4th, 2017, 11:40 am

First things first.

:welcome:

Welcome to the crew!

Now about the size;
I would say if there were never going to be an addition number of people you could have gotten a bit smaller size. But if you were cooking ribs you will like having the extra room for side dishes and such.

jm2cw

As for the charcoal, in my experience I only use it to light my offset RF smokers. The main fuel is sticks, a couple of fist sized splints every 1.5 hours and so on.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 4th, 2017, 5:31 pm

:yth: I have a 24''x48'' that I do all of my cooking on. I usually throw in a pan of beans and a few ABT's to snack on while I'm waiting on dinner to get finished so it's nice to have a little extra room and it really doesn't take much wood to keep up temp.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » August 4th, 2017, 7:55 pm

I definitely think it's better to have slightly larger & not need it(good for adding extra stuff too) than having to cram everything in a smaller one even just once.:kewl:

I start with charcoal & run on splits too.

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"