Let the smoker building begin:

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Smokinnewby
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Let the smoker building begin:

Post by Smokinnewby » August 23rd, 2017, 8:18 pm

Hey everyone, I am fairly new to the group. I have posted a few comments and questions before in another post, and have been reading a lot and trying to educate myself in the fine arts of smoking meats and smoker building. I originally started off with an 86 gallon well pressure tank with plans of turning it into a reverse smoker. I had a change of plans after reading in posts that the metal is too thin. If I am going to put a lot of time and money into this I want it to last.
I ended up getting a retired propane tank (155 gallons) that is 1/4 inch thick steel. Image
It didn't take me long to realize that 1/4 in steel is not cheap. Again the thought is if I am spending a lot of time and money, I want to make it worth it. I started the build a week ago and I am only able to work on it in the evenings after work and a couple of jobs I have on the side. I only have maybe 6 hours into it so far but it is starting to take shapeImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
The size of the cc is 50"x24"
The throat is going to be a little bigger than 76 square inches from the FBI to cc and matches the bp opening as well.
My stack is 4" x 40"
My fire box is currently planned to be part of the tank I cut off 24"x20 with a vent on the door.
I am reconsidering the round fire box and thinking it would be more practical and easy to make the FB square instead. I believe with a square fb I will be able to do all the things I want to do as far as vents on both sides, an ash pan in the bottom of the fb and will make it easier all the way around than a round fb.
What are your thought on the matter of a square fb vs round?
How bad would it effect the smoker if I went with a slightly larger fb. I was thinking 24"x24"x24"? The current numbers I have put into feldons was a fire box size of 24"x20"x20"
Thanks in advance for all the helpful advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Let the smoker building begin:

Post by Big T » August 23rd, 2017, 9:32 pm

It looks like you are off to a great start!! You pretty much nailed the round vs square FB, either will perform the same but square is much easier to work with and if you ever wanted to add a WC it would be less work. I haven't ran your numbers but there are several smoker builder calculators at the top of the page including the pit calculator. I wouldn't go over 115% max recommended size for the FB, it could make it a little harder to regulate the temperature while having a clean burning fire.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Gringo Loco
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Gringo Loco » August 23rd, 2017, 9:53 pm

Looking good!!!

A team is not a group of people who work together.
A team is a group of people who trust each other!

Smokinnewby
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Smokinnewby » August 23rd, 2017, 9:55 pm

Big T wrote:It looks like you are off to a great start!! You pretty much nailed the round vs square FB, either will perform the same but square is much easier to work with and if you ever wanted to add a WC it would be less work. I haven't ran your numbers but there are several smoker builder calculators at the top of the page including the pit calculator. I wouldn't go over 115% max recommended size for the FB, it could make it a little harder to regulate the temperature while having a clean burning fire.
Thanks for the advice good sir. Here are the numbers I got ImageImage
I am going to be working more on my smoker tomorrow evening after work. I will continue to post pics on my progress.
Thanks again Big T!!!!

Smokinnewby
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Smokinnewby » August 23rd, 2017, 10:03 pm

Thanks Gringo Loco, I am really trying to take my time and get it right. I have a list of features I am wanting on it like a paper towel holder, a portal where my temp probe can pass throne the pit wall when in use and I will be able to plug the portal when I am not using the probe. Enough racking to allow me to set food down while putting it the smoker or taking it out, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smokinnewby
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Smokinnewby » August 24th, 2017, 5:57 pm

I have been going through the numbers again and again making sure things are still good but just realized that my throat size are off a little the calc says 72 sq " where as with my original design it was 76sq" (both bp opening and fb opening) how much difference will this make??

Big T

Post by Big T » August 24th, 2017, 8:52 pm

It will probably be OK seeing as it's only about 6% larger than recommend size. Your BP gap can be smaller than the throat so you could add a small strip back to the end of the BP if you wanted to.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » August 24th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Looking good... off to a flying start.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

temurf
Expert
Expert
Title: Train Driver
BBQ Comp Team Name: Rednecks con Fuego

Post by temurf » August 25th, 2017, 7:39 pm

She's looking good.

Yer gonna like what we've been smokin'.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » August 25th, 2017, 8:41 pm

Heck yes

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Smokinnewby
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Smokinnewby » August 25th, 2017, 10:00 pm

Put in a few more hours on the pit and very pleased with the nights work
ImageImageImageImage
Getting closer to Q time and I am starting to smell the brisket.
My question I have at this point is the size of inlets to put in on the sides of my fb?
I already have a plan on how to make the inlets just not sure about the size? 3"x6" or 4"x4" or 4"x6"??
I will be using 3/8x1" flat stock, 1/8" angle, 1/4"plate for the sliding inlet itself. Making a rectangle vent on either side. What are you're thoughts???

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » August 25th, 2017, 10:09 pm

I'd think rectangular each side would be fine. That way you can allow for wind direction.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Big T

Post by Big T » August 25th, 2017, 10:39 pm

:yth: I'd go with the 3''x6'' intakes and have them at the same level as the bottom of your fire basket.
:LG: :LG:

Smokinnewby
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Smokinnewby » August 25th, 2017, 11:06 pm

3x6 it is then, thanks again for the help guys.
More pics coming soon!!!!

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » August 25th, 2017, 11:55 pm

Looks awesome dude, well done! :beer:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Smokinnewby
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Smokinnewby » August 26th, 2017, 11:53 pm

I have not had a chance to put work in today on my pit due to work (work is funny like that, also taking away from fun time) but I have a few more questions for you guys if I may:
1. Fire box door: is it better to keep the door away from the top of the fb in order keep the rising heat flowing through rf cc?
I was thinking on cutting my fb door 4" below the top of the fb in order to keep the heat and smoke moving the right direction?

2. What a s the best way to set up your fb ash pan?

3. What are some good options for temp gauges? I am wanting to get decent gauges that are dependable and won't crap out on me in a few months, also needing them to be somewhat affordable. I don't want to have to tap into the kids college fund in order to get a couple?

I appreciate all the help I can get!!!!

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » August 27th, 2017, 3:39 am

Definitely River Country temp gauges, both affordable & reliable, never had a problem with any of the ones I have.

Ash pan is simple, just make a pan the same foot print as the bottom of the FB & put a small lip(about 1/2-1") around the edge.

The other FB question I'm not sure about cause the one I built had a door that was the whole end of the FB, haven't had any problems with it. :kewl:

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » August 27th, 2017, 6:38 am

I agree with what Squiggle said, River Country gauges are fine, and adjustable. You can get them here; http://udsparts.com/temp-control/3-inch ... meter.html

I like a little taller lip around the edge of the ash pan about 1-1/2", and the ash pan made from 1/8" plate works great.
I make my FB door always open the total end. It doesn't stay open long so your concern is not really an issue. I like the access better for adding wood or stirring things if I just want to play with the fire.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Welder10
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Welder10 » August 27th, 2017, 8:54 am

:LG:

Smokinnewby
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Smokinnewby » August 27th, 2017, 3:44 pm

Thanks Squiggle and RC again I am grateful for all the advice and knowledge, you guys are champs!!!

I had another thought I wanted to run by you guys as well (trust me, I got a lot of questions): does the fb door get a seal around it such as the lava lock in order to keep the heat moving the right way and not escaping out the door flange?

Big T

Post by Big T » August 27th, 2017, 8:18 pm

A lot of guys are putting gaskets on the FB door so that they can control all of the airflow through the FB. I haven't ever used a gasket on the FB door of an offset, I usually have a door that seals up fairly well and once a good draft is established it'll draw the heat through the CC. It definitely will not hurt to have a gasket if you want to use it.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert

Post by Squiggle » August 28th, 2017, 2:34 am

I put one on The Wombat, but I also ran it a couple of time before the gasket turned up & it ran fine. So ultimately it's up to you. :kewl:

Smokinnewby
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Smokinnewby » August 28th, 2017, 11:03 pm

Still haven't had time to work on the pit yet or all weekend, been busy building a porch (side jobs) to support the build funds. I do have the question of best material to build the grates out of(frame wise, I have the 3/4 #9 expanded metal) just not sure on what's the best way to do the frames? Square stock? Angle? Size?

Big T

Post by Big T » August 28th, 2017, 11:16 pm

I use 1'' square tubing for all of my rack frames, mostly because I have a ton of it available for free(scraps). If I was using angle I would go with 1'' x 1'' x 1/4'' . The weight can add up pretty quick depending on how big your racks are, 10# butts add up in a hurry.

Smokinnewby
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Smokinnewby » August 28th, 2017, 11:45 pm

Big T, on the 1" tubing what is the wall thickness?