I couldn't resist mate...

Tell us a little about yourself!
z1_gravedigger

I couldn't resist mate...

Post by z1_gravedigger » October 18th, 2017, 7:34 pm

Hello from Ohio :beer:

We're nearing the end of a 4-year project at work that involved removing cabinets like this from 20 distribution substations. After seeing so many lost to the scrap bin, I couldn't resist saving one. I hope to give it new purpose as a gravity feed insulated smoker:
Cabinet.jpg
That's 1/8" aluminum. I'm not seeing any practical use for the door they provided...

Inside partially gutted:
Cabinet_Interior.jpg
This 8.5x27x.5" slab of aluminum previously served as a heat sink. It may again as a deflector plate (I'm envisioning it bolted to a steel transfer tube):
deflector.jpg
Interior dimensions are 15.75x29.75x52". I'm considering dropping 1" of insulation and a 16GA steel liner inside, with an offset charcoal chute and firebox. Which leads me to my first question:

None of the stumps-clones I've seen follow the pit calculator's suggestions - they're all significantly smaller fireboxes (with room below for ash) and a 2" ball valve. Are there any rules of thumb to follow when building an insulated cabinet or gravity feed smoker?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: I couldn't resist mate...

Post by Big T » October 18th, 2017, 8:52 pm

Welcome aboard!! The pit calculator is designed for an offset cooker. A vertical doesn't require a large fire box because all of the heat goes straight up so there's very little heat wasted, especially on an insulated cabinet. I haven't built a GF yet so I can't really help you on FB dimensions but I'm sure some of the guys that have will be along to help you out.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Bricklayer2
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Masonry Contractor
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Bricklayer2 » October 19th, 2017, 7:36 am

That will be an interesting build, I will be watching :kewl: .

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » October 22nd, 2017, 6:28 pm

The GF FB on an insulated cabinet is like 8”wide,4”tall 6”deep. Those are rough numbers, but they are plenty for something like you’re planning. You might send Frank Cox a pm and ask his thoughts since he designs plans and makes them available on a sister site to keep the lights on here. But the was the GF works is more like a charcoal burner putting out plenty of BTUs to heat an insulated space.

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

z1_gravedigger

Post by z1_gravedigger » October 22nd, 2017, 8:15 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:The GF FB on an insulated cabinet is like 8”wide,4”tall 6”deep
Thanks Rodcrafter! Great sanity check. I'm planning a round, 6" diameter chute with approximately 6x6x4 burn basket. I'll be able to make the basket deeper if I need more BTU's.

I'll make a build thread when I have progress to show. So far I've picked up the steel and made space for the project... that took much longer than expected :oopssign: