New Pit Calculator

All the calculators you'll need to design your own smoker.
alleyrat58
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: TWSS! BBQ

New Pit Calculator

Post by alleyrat58 » October 15th, 2017, 3:13 pm

So, hanging out with Frank for a couple of days has a bad habit of getting me motivated to do something. I've been meaning to rewrite the pit calculator into something a little more modern and mobile friendly, so I started doing that. It is not functional yet, but you can see how it is starting to work here: http://pitcalc.twssbbq.com

What other features would be nice? Keep in mind, I am not a miracle worker. :help:

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: New Pit Calculator

Post by Big T » October 15th, 2017, 8:08 pm

I think it needs to be as simple as possible to help out the new guys. I know that there's another pit calculator that a lot of guys use because it has an explanation of what each term that you are inputting means. Pete Mazz has several great calculators and even a terminology page but I don't think the guys that are searching the web really spend the time to locate of all the great information that the site has to offer. It seems like one of the main first questions on the forum is how big the BP gap needs to be and I know that it isn't a set number but maybe there could be a note on the pit calculator that says it's 75%-100% of the recommended throat size. I'm sure others have some great ideas also but these are a few that comes to my mind.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert

Post by alleyrat58 » October 15th, 2017, 8:16 pm

Thanks Big T, good feedback!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Nothing I like more than to kick back with a Zima and a Virgina Slim reading 50 Shades of Grey with DCman (The Czar).

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Squiggle » October 16th, 2017, 12:38 am

Maybe have some info on what a shadow plate is & how far it extends under the BP, & some info on the height the bottom shelf is above the BP. They seem to be the next two questions.

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » October 16th, 2017, 9:32 pm

So I have a blue chair ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » October 17th, 2017, 4:13 am

Nice! It definitely needs to be able to save the info in some sort of file that can be posted.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert

Post by alleyrat58 » November 17th, 2017, 9:18 am

It has been a heck of a couple of weeks. I got stranded in western PA when the truck I was driving broke down and I nearly froze to death. Then I ended up in the hospital when my throat swelled up and tried to choke me to death.

So all in all, havent had a lot of time to focus on this. I am hoping to get back to it this weekend.

Good feedback!

Gary_G
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: RE: New Pit Calculator

Post by Gary_G » November 17th, 2017, 1:23 pm

alleyrat58 wrote:So, hanging out with Frank for a couple of days has a bad habit of getting me motivated to do something. I've been meaning to rewrite the pit calculator into something a little more modern and mobile friendly, so I started doing that. It is not functional yet, but you can see how it is starting to work here: http://pitcalc.twssbbq.com

What other features would be nice? Keep in mind, I am not a miracle worker. :help:
Nice going on the web stuff. Come hang out with me.... or I need to come hang out with you to learn a few new tricks to run a smoker using my phone !

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Regards,
Gary

alleyrat58
Expert
Expert

Re: RE: Re: RE: New Pit Calculator

Post by alleyrat58 » November 17th, 2017, 1:25 pm

Gary_G wrote:
alleyrat58 wrote:So, hanging out with Frank for a couple of days has a bad habit of getting me motivated to do something. I've been meaning to rewrite the pit calculator into something a little more modern and mobile friendly, so I started doing that. It is not functional yet, but you can see how it is starting to work here: http://pitcalc.twssbbq.com

Nice going on the web stuff. Come hang out with me.... or I need to come hang out with you to learn a few new tricks to run a smoker using my phone !

We should def connect Gary G, I'll PM you my email address. I'm in Omaha NE whereabouts are you located?

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » November 17th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Hey AR,

I'm glad the grim reaper came up short.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Gary_G
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: New Pit Calculator

Post by Gary_G » November 17th, 2017, 3:52 pm

alleyrat58 wrote:
Gary_G wrote:

We should def connect Gary G, I'll PM you my email address. I'm in Omaha NE whereabouts are you located?

Alabama.... just a few milliseconds away on the internet superhighway

Regards,
Gary

Return to “SmokerBuilder® Calculators”