Trailer bunks

Haul in here to talk trailers.
Enasnidx
beginner
beginner

Trailer bunks

Post by Enasnidx » December 15th, 2017, 5:08 pm

I'm looking to fab some folding bunks for my trailer. I have some [limited] experience with my cheap welder. So I'm capable but far from an expert. I'm shooting to have the bottom and top bunks fold independent of the other. For those with more fabricating experience than myself, looking for your opinion on a couple things.
1. What size angle steel do you think I need for the bed frames? I'm planning for 80"x36" with a piece across the middle to support and putting 1/2" plywood in the frame for the mattress.
I'm thinking 1/8" 1.5x1.5? Do I need to go 2x2?
2. I'm thinking 2x2x1/8 for the vertical wall mounts (like pic 1)?
3. Lastly, do you think having legs to support it are necessary (I'd use square tube or pipe) or could I do chains fastened above to the vertical wall mount steel to suspend the frames?

Hope that all makes sense. I'd like to save as much weight as possible without sacrificing safety. First pic is similar to how I'd do the framing except the legs would fold out like in the second pic.

Weldun
Expert
Expert
Title: I'm no expert
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Trailer bunks

Post by Weldun » December 16th, 2017, 12:19 am

I made some when I converted a cargo trailer to transport dirt bikes and camp in on race weekends, I opted for both up or both down. I found it best to find mattresses first and build frames to fit, I wasn't impressed with the mount to the wall types because they count on the screws to carry the weight of beds while folded up and was afraid the bumps and shaking of going down the road would take its toll on the fasteners. I wanted a design that was supported by the floor and the attachment to the wall only served as a means of keeping them from falling over, the frames are made from 1"X1"x 12ga tube and the mattresses are semi sleeper mattresses. I know it's not exactly what your looking for but thought it might give you something to chew on anyways.
Attachments
IMG_3230.JPG
IMG_3232.JPG
IMG_3234.JPG
Last edited by Weldun on December 16th, 2017, 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grandma always said "if ya can't be handsome ya better at least be handy"

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » December 16th, 2017, 3:32 am

Nice setup that Weldun.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Enasnidx
beginner
beginner

Post by Enasnidx » December 16th, 2017, 8:45 pm

Weldun wrote:I made some when I converted a cargo trailer to transport dirt bikes and camp in on race weekends, I opted for both up or both down. I found it best to find mattresses first and build frames to fit, I wasn't impressed with the mount to the wall types because they count on the screws to carry the weight of beds while folded up and was afraid the bumps and shaking of going down the road would take its toll on the fasteners. I wanted a design that was supported by the floor and the attachment to the wall only served as a means of keeping them from falling over, the frames are made from 1"X1"x 12ga tube and the mattresses are semi sleeper mattresses. I know it's not exactly what your looking for but thought it might give you something to chew on anyways.
Wow that looks awesome. I liked the idea of independent folding for the sake of keeping just the bottom one down as a place to sit. But your setup looks super nice and clean. I was going to run the vertical wall mount angle all the way to the floor for that exact reason of letting the floor take weight. Your design looks a little easier to pull off than what I have sketched up. I found some 79x35x4 mattresses online that I was planning for. Any other insight into your build would be appreciated. That looks great!

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » December 18th, 2017, 10:16 am

That sure does look nice Weldun.

:LG:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 18th, 2017, 7:01 pm

:yth: :kewl:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Return to “Trailer Fabrication”