New Build Questions for Reverse Flow Smoker

All the calculators you'll need to design your own smoker.
ewilly
beginner
beginner

New Build Questions for Reverse Flow Smoker

Post by ewilly » December 26th, 2017, 1:52 pm

I am in need of some help with definition clarity for a set of calcs that I have generated.

1. Is the firebox intake square the size of the door?
2. FB Intake area definition?
3. What is the count of intakes?
4. If I cut a throat with straight line on top and radius on bottom can someone give me a dimension for the chord length on the top with a 23 inch diameter to accomplish a throat size of 48sq inches

Can anyone verify if there is a strong argument for insulating the firebox.

Thanks for any and all help.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: New Build Questions for Reverse Flow Smoker

Post by Big T » December 26th, 2017, 4:26 pm

1) No. it's the shape of the air intakes on the fb, either round holes or a square opening. 2) That is the total number of square inches (48) that the opening needs to be. 3) This is the number of intakes needed of that size. If you make them larger the number of intakes will go down, smaller will go up. I like to have at least 2 intakes on opposite sides of the fb so I can adjust them if wind starts blowing in one of them. 4) Pete has several calculators at the top of the page, one of them is a throat shape calculator that can give you the dimensions of a half moon opening. 5) There's a few benefits of an insulated fb, 1) safety, the outside doesn't get as hot, great if there's kids around. 2) fuel consumption, doesn't burn quite as much due to the lack of heat loss by wind or cold air against the fb. If you live where it gets cold for the winter and you plan on using it a lot, it's probably worth it. I live in lower Alabama and it doesn't get very cold for long so I don't insulate them.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ewilly
beginner
beginner

Post by ewilly » December 26th, 2017, 11:12 pm

Excellent - so my FB Intake area is 18 sq in and count of .18 intakes which I presume can be interpreted as 1?

I found the throat shape calculator and I think one of my only other question is does position of the BP below the centerline have much effect? Is 3-4 inch below CLine and door opening work?

I am in Central AZ so I think I will forego the insulated FB also.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 26th, 2017, 11:28 pm

If you need 18 sq in you could do 1- 3''x6'' opening or 2- 3''x3'' openings. The .18 means that your intake opening is roughly 5 times larger than required. Yes 3''-4'' below the center should be fine. You can have an area larger than the throat below the BP but it can't be smaller than the throat.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » December 27th, 2017, 7:02 am

:yth: What BigT said.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........