Adding square doors Question

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
AndrewPalmer71
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: SmokinAddict
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Adding square doors Question

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » January 3rd, 2018, 12:01 pm

I want to add Square doors to my current smoker build (see pics below). My current door opening is 1" back from 12 o'clock on the top and at about 4 o' clock on the bottom.

I want to maximize capacity with adding square doors.

Can I and should I enlarge the current door cutout? I am concerned with the weight of the other parts of the smoker causing my horizontal chamber to flex or stress.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for any advice. Image

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Re: Adding square doors Question

Post by Rodcrafter » January 3rd, 2018, 2:40 pm

Adding square doors at this point in the build you would be making your FB possibly be undersized. As for the flexing issue, I would make sure to attach all the parts to the trailer since it is there you may as well use it to support the smoker.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

AndrewPalmer71
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Re: RE: Re: Adding square doors Question

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » January 3rd, 2018, 3:02 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:Adding square doors at this point in the build you would be making your FB possibly be undersized. As for the flexing issue, I would make sure to attach all the parts to the trailer since it is there you may as well use it to support the smoker.

jm2cw
Got it RC. I am thinking the same as far as Firebox size. Those square doors just look so dang cool though.

As the rig is set up now, I can operate it as a RF with the right vertical chamber closed off, or as a traditional offset using the right vertical chamber.

The firebox is roughly 22x22. If I close off the right vertical chamber and use it like a rf, the Firebox is hugely oversized. If I open the right vertical chamber, the Firebox is in the sweet spot around 100%.

So I've kinda got myself in a pickle. The only reason I'm considering adding the square doors anyway is because I fired the thing up in as an offset and the Firebox got the vertical unit in excess of 400 degrees with ease.

Then I started wondering if the calculations concerning Firebox size are the same for units with a vertical chamber on the end, as opposed to a completely horizontal rig with 6' of pipe to heat with one Firebox.

I have searched and searched and can't quite come up with any conclusions, so being the daredevil I am, I figured I'd try it.

But any wisdom otherwise may make me suck it up and keep the same old lame door. [emoji848]

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 4th, 2018, 7:53 am

So let me get this right the vertical opposite the FB got to 400* with ease or the one above the FB?

What I did on mine to control the airflow is I made the throat adjustable and I have the damper for the opposite vertical barely open and I can run the horizontal with a nice small fire burning clean.

I have run mine at least 50 times since I changed it to this latest setup, like BigT said "after you run it a few times you can make it do what you want" if you have enough controls. You just can't start with a small FB and think it will be ok, there is no way to adjust for that.

You and I chose a very difficult design make work just as you wish but you can get it done with practice. Then it will be so easy.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

AndrewPalmer71
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » January 4th, 2018, 2:57 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:So let me get this right the vertical opposite the FB got to 400* with ease or the one above the FB?

What I did on mine to control the airflow is I made the throat adjustable and I have the damper for the opposite vertical barely open and I can run the horizontal with a nice small fire burning clean.

I have run mine at least 50 times since I changed it to this latest setup, like BigT said "after you run it a few times you can make it do what you want" if you have enough controls. You just can't start with a small FB and think it will be ok, there is no way to adjust for that.

You and I chose a very difficult design make work just as you wish but you can get it done with practice. Then it will be so easy.

jm2cw
RC,

I thought I replied to this earlier, so forgive any duplication.

But Yep. That's right. The vertical chamber opposite the FB got up to 400 degrees. I have not fired it up since I added the box over the FB.

Could you upload a pic of your throat damper?

I very likely will have to install one myself. When I fired mine up I had all dampers wide open. I have not quite figured out how I will install working dampers. I'm probably overthinking it.

AndrewPalmer71
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » January 6th, 2018, 1:42 pm

Adding square doors. May have to increase my FB size, but I couldn't resist the look of square doors. Not to mention extra capacity. [emoji16]Image

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » January 6th, 2018, 6:56 pm

Looks awesome dude, & square doors are way better for both room & looks IMO. :kewl:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » January 6th, 2018, 10:02 pm

That's some thick plate that you're using, RC will be proud of you. You'll definitely need an upgrade on the axle and springs now, it's a good thing that you added the tubing to the trailer frame.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

AndrewPalmer71
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » January 7th, 2018, 7:29 am

Big T wrote:That's some thick plate that you're using, RC will be proud of you. You'll definitely need an upgrade on the axle and springs now, it's a good thing that you added the tubing to the trailer frame.
Agreed! And tires.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 11th, 2018, 10:15 am

Big T wrote:That's some thick plate that you're using, RC will be proud of you. You'll definitely need an upgrade on the axle and springs now, it's a good thing that you added the tubing to the trailer frame.

You're right again BigT!

Looking at the picture you may have changed your mind a couple of times. Which is all good, I just wonder about the bottom of the square door portion coming that far out from the Baffle Plate. If you take the side frames and draw a vertical line allowing for the angle iron you plan to use as the door jam and only come that far out, I think it will work better for you.

AndrewPalmer71
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » January 11th, 2018, 11:46 am

Rodcrafter wrote:

You're right again BigT!

Looking at the picture you may have changed your mind a couple of times. Which is all good, I just wonder about the bottom of the square door portion coming that far out from the Baffle Plate. If you take the side frames and draw a vertical line allowing for the angle iron you plan to use as the door jam and only come that far out, I think it will work better for you.
Thanks RC. I hadn't thought about that issue with the baffle plate. But I will address it now.

I made the square door sides as big as possible to maximize space. Since I'm going to increase Firebox size anyway.

AndrewPalmer71
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » January 13th, 2018, 4:56 pm

Made my warming box damper. Works like a charm. Now I just need spring handle grips.

Seemed like this thing took all day but then I recalled installing a dual filter kit on the cummins during the better part of the morning. ImageImage

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » January 13th, 2018, 6:40 pm

Nice :kewl:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » January 13th, 2018, 11:50 pm

:LG:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 15th, 2018, 3:22 pm

I saw those fuel filters and had to go back to see what you said. I must have been speed reading, down here we call that looking at the pictures. lol

Nice work.

AndrewPalmer71
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » January 15th, 2018, 3:49 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:I saw those fuel filters and had to go back to see what you said. I must have been speed reading, down here we call that looking at the pictures. lol

Nice work.
Thanks fellas! If I could find some extra time other than the weekend I could get this thing finished.

Ordering steel this week to build a charcoal grill onto the side opposite the smoker firebox. Then a prep table/wood storage area in the middle, and propane fryers up front.