Fully insulated offset project I am interested in buying.

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
-=PEAKABOO=-
beginner
beginner

Fully insulated offset project I am interested in buying.

Post by -=PEAKABOO=- » January 10th, 2018, 1:34 am

insluated smoker delete.jpg
The frame is made from .120 wall 2" square tubing. Inside wall is .125 outside is a little thinner, I believe the firebox interior has 3/16 material. I plan to line the floor with fire brick which I already have. I will convert his dishwasher style door to cabinet style doors. He is using this insulation https://www.mcmaster.com/#9328k43/=1b28913

I went and looked at it. A lot of work is already done. I would rather have higher rated insulation in the firebox but this may work, I don't know. I am a newbie. The original craigslist ad has expired but here is the posting below. $750 is where we are on price. I am open to all opinions :-) Thanks

From craigslist ad.
"I started working on a large smoker last year, and haven't had the time to finish, nor will I have any time in the future to finish it.

Looking to sell as an incomplete project. I do have doors for the smoker and firebox (under smoker in photos), however they could use some better hinge designs than what I came up with.

The smoker is made of 2" square tubing, sandwiched between various thicknesses of sheet metal (0.080 - 0.187"). In between the sheet metal, is 2" thick mineral wool insulation, allowing for the smoker (and firebox) to be completely insulated. The goal was to make a smoker that was efficient as possible.

The grates that I have built (2 out of 3), are 24" x 66". Firebox is 25" x 25" x 30". This thing can hold a hog (maybe a couple), 18 briskets, just about anything. I did fire it up once two smoke 6 briskets.

I can share what I think still needs to be done with it to finish, aside from the obvious things, like finishing buttoning up the sheet metal welds, temperature controls on the firebox door and smoke stack.

This thing is very heavy. If interested, you'll most likely want a low trailer with a ramp to move it. Bring about 12 people if you think you can get it into the bed of a truck."

Stewart
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Fully insulated offset project I am interested in buying.

Post by Stewart » January 10th, 2018, 8:20 am

Thats a beast! Tell em 700 cash money out the door. Then hire a team of midgets to load it as you know it's heavier than a dead minister. That's nothing your gonna cart around that's a stay at home party smoker. Good luck

-=PEAKABOO=-
beginner
beginner

Post by -=PEAKABOO=- » January 10th, 2018, 11:00 am

It is a little bigger than I would like. I am still on the fence.

AndrewPalmer71
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: SmokinAddict

Post by AndrewPalmer71 » January 10th, 2018, 11:51 am

Take it from me. As you continue building, you'll get the fever and you'll constantly want to go bigger. Put that thing on a trailer and you'll have an awesome rig in no time.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 10th, 2018, 1:21 pm

Sorry for the "stick in the mud" response.

I know he said it is heavy, "but" a pit that size in my opinion should be weighing in at around 3,000#. I just believe it is too thin for an offset. The top of that FB is going to get very hot to make the CC enough to run right. I would recommend running the numbers through the pit calc before any offers were made.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

-=PEAKABOO=-
beginner
beginner

Post by -=PEAKABOO=- » January 10th, 2018, 2:42 pm

Rodcrafter wrote:Sorry for the "stick in the mud" response.

I know he said it is heavy, "but" a pit that size in my opinion should be weighing in at around 3,000#. I just believe it is too thin for an offset. The top of that FB is going to get very hot to make the CC enough to run right. I would recommend running the numbers through the pit calc before any offers were made.

jm2cw
I agree. I have ran the numbers and they seem pretty close. The top of the firebox is there as is the CC door. If I get it I plan to modify the CC to have cabinet doors. I also plan to make a different firebox top and maybe a pizza oven insert. As mentioned, still on the fence. I have steel in my shop to line the firebox, I have fire bricks to line the bottom. I have millermatic 220 mig, miller tig and plasma cutter. I even have 150-200 gallon diesel tank on my property that I will never use for diesel. I have always wanted an insulated cabinet smoker, usually smoke with post oak which I have access to 500 acres to gather etc. I normally do not cook a lot of say briskets or shoulders etc but some of that is because I did not have the room. This on the other hand is a little bigger than may use but being insulated maybe cooking 3 or 4 briskets may still work ok and not run through too much wood. Was also thinking off home brewing some electronics to possibly control temps. On the fence and would like others input. Already have a lot projects going on so the less work the better.

Thanks in advance

-=PEAKABOO=-
beginner
beginner

Post by -=PEAKABOO=- » January 10th, 2018, 2:53 pm

Capture delete.JPG
I mentioned that I ran the numbers. I just realized that there is a pit calculator link here. That is not where I ran the numbers but here is the rogh numbers I have ran through the pit calculator. I am not even sure what is a good calculation, the other calculator gave a suggested number and most of mine were close. The are just close guess on the dimensions but the firebox and cook chamber are accurate.

SAFETYHARBORREDNECK
Expert
Expert
Title: ChefBoyareyoukidding
But if I were,we'd be called:Fatties Smoking Fatties

Post by SAFETYHARBORREDNECK » January 10th, 2018, 8:51 pm

I'll be a stick in the mud too.
With the tools and metal you have,I'd spend an extra couple hundred dollars and build a gravity feed cabinet smoker.
It'll be insulated AND large enough to feed a hundred people.
But that's me...
And Welcome to the Forum.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

NEVER trust a skinny cook!

-=PEAKABOO=-
beginner
beginner

Post by -=PEAKABOO=- » January 10th, 2018, 9:19 pm

Comments like this are why I started this thread. I have been smoking meat off and on for 30 years but I am new to gravity fed smokers etc. I have used various homemade smokers over the years. The last one was a modified older oklahoma joes that I converted to reverse flow. There was a misunderstanding and the crew my dad hired to clean his back yard hauled it off and of course said they threw it away. The smoker I ma using now was here at the place when we bought this old farm. I have made some damn fine briskets on it but most of them finished in the oven after I foiled them, it was my oven crutch. This smoker has too much wrong to try and fix. I guess I need to read up on the gravity feed cabinets. I have seen them but have always used all wood. Seems these use charcoal? I guess I am cool with that if it taste as good as stick cooked. I like the idea of not having to feed it every hour.
SAFETYHARBORREDNECK wrote:I'll be a stick in the mud too.
With the tools and metal you have,I'd spend an extra couple hundred dollars and build a gravity feed cabinet smoker.
It'll be insulated AND large enough to feed a hundred people.
But that's me...
And Welcome to the Forum.

SAFETYHARBORREDNECK
Expert
Expert

Post by SAFETYHARBORREDNECK » January 10th, 2018, 9:27 pm

You could also buy/build a reverse flow with a warming cabinet above an insulated firebox, especially if you have access to that much oak, LOL.

-=PEAKABOO=-
beginner
beginner

Post by -=PEAKABOO=- » January 11th, 2018, 6:12 pm

SAFETYHARBORREDNECK wrote:You could also buy/build a reverse flow with a warming cabinet above an insulated firebox, especially if you have access to that much oak, LOL.

Even with access to that much oak I still have to work my ass off to get it. Its 120 miles away and I have to cut and split. There is a lot on the ground and seasoned but I like the idea of the gravity feed. Still doing some reading to learn more how they affect flavor when using charcoal instead of all wood.

SAFETYHARBORREDNECK
Expert
Expert

Post by SAFETYHARBORREDNECK » January 12th, 2018, 7:03 am

From what I understand, you can throw a few chunks of oak or hickory into the chute of the gravity feed for better flavor.
Can someone who owns one chime in???
Dang it, WHERE'S Squiggle when ya need him???

Stewart
Expert
Expert

Post by Stewart » January 12th, 2018, 8:01 am

Im still collecting my steel to build mine but I do understand the concept wood chunks and charcoal separate or together in the chute. Temps are very easy to maintain unit itself is easy to use. I'm a stick burner my rf is super easy to use but I'm getting tired of having to babysit it all the time. And there is the constant work of cutting splitting and stacking the cherry wood I need.

-=PEAKABOO=-
beginner
beginner

Post by -=PEAKABOO=- » January 12th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Stewart wrote:Im still collecting my steel to build mine but I do understand the concept wood chunks and charcoal separate or together in the chute. Temps are very easy to maintain unit itself is easy to use. I'm a stick burner my rf is super easy to use but I'm getting tired of having to babysit it all the time. And there is the constant work of cutting splitting and stacking the cherry wood I need.
This is whats attracting me to the gravity feed design.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 15th, 2018, 8:02 am

Yep, you can throw chunks in the chute to get more smoke or different flavors. You can put them in the ash pan too as another way to do it. I think the confusion on the chunks Stewart is that charcoal has it's own smoke flavor but you can change that with chunks. I hope that helps.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » January 15th, 2018, 9:05 am

The numbers actually don't look too far off to me.
On that note, for that kinda money you can build whatever you want!
I would not be afraid to buy it if I had limited Fab abilities and equipment. It would be a great start assuming you could buy it for around $1.00 per pound assuming it is all new steel. if it is used iron, then I would offer closer to 50 cents per pound.
I always recommend buying this kinda stuff around that number. Lower if possible but not higher. If you bought all the hardware and iron in that thing you would wind up near that number or under.

-=PEAKABOO=-
beginner
beginner

Post by -=PEAKABOO=- » January 15th, 2018, 6:50 pm

Frank_Cox wrote:The numbers actually don't look too far off to me.
On that note, for that kinda money you can build whatever you want!
I would not be afraid to buy it if I had limited Fab abilities and equipment. It would be a great start assuming you could buy it for around $1.00 per pound assuming it is all new steel. if it is used iron, then I would offer closer to 50 cents per pound.
I always recommend buying this kinda stuff around that number. Lower if possible but not higher. If you bought all the hardware and iron in that thing you would wind up near that number or under.

Thanks for the advice. I do not have limited fab skills nor limited tools. I probably have all the metal and tanks etc laying around to build an offset stick burner. I am enjoying the forum and prepping my adhd brain to make a decision and get started.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » January 16th, 2018, 8:41 am

Well sounds like you got it licked!
Sky's the limit! build it yerself! :beer:

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 24th, 2018, 8:33 pm

:yth:

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » January 25th, 2018, 11:21 pm

Sounds like you canceled the trailer rental then and ordered a new spool of wire.....right?