Reverse flow smoker problems?

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Starretj

Reverse flow smoker problems?

Post by Starretj » March 23rd, 2018, 5:38 am

I’m A chef but relatively new to smoking. I had an opportunity to to build a reverse flow smoker with an old 500l tank. It’s 2 door, each door has 2 levels/grills. I have 1 thermometer over each grill. Fire box is on the right. I have no problem with airfloor and maintaining temperature. I do have a massive difference in temperature between the top two levels and the bottom two levels. About 20C to 25C... is this normal? Also the grill on the bottom left is the coldest. About 5C colder than the bottom right. I was surprised because that’s where the smoke first hits the meat so should be at its hottest?

bswisher
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Reverse flow smoker problems?

Post by bswisher » March 23rd, 2018, 8:46 am

The others here that are experts will give you more info but you will have a difference in temps between the upper and lower racks simply because heat rises. The difference in temps between the left and right sides will vary slightly as well. Although the left side (opposite the firebox) gets hit with the smoke first, the heat still starts at the FB and moves left. Depending on how thick your baffle plate is it can be a factor as well. Thinner metal will heat up faster but also won't hold heat as well. The thicker the better for even heat distribution. One thing you can do to adjust the temps left to right is to either raise or lower the firebox end. If i am correct, raising the firebox will essentially force the heat to stay on the FB end longer and build up. Raising the other end will have the opposite affect by allowing the heat to flow out faster evening out the temps. My RF is only a 60gal but by leveling it I am able to get the left and right sides exactly the same.. My top rack is about 40 degrees F higher than the lower. That works fine for me because I can do ribs/chicken up top where i can use that extra heat.. Hope this helps.

The others will correct me if I am wrong but I would think that the location of your stack can have an affect on the heat as well. Lower in the chamber to me would force a bit more heat to remain in the top of the chamber. My stack is about 1 inch above my bottom grate forcing the smoke to be pulled down before it exits the stack.

Current Smokers, Brinkman ECB, Masterbuilt 30 Analog, SmokeHollow Pro44, Home Built 60gal RF, UDS

Nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous

bswisher
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by bswisher » March 23rd, 2018, 10:22 am

This is how i picture it in my head.. Excuse the crude drawings.
Level
RFlevel.jpg
Baffle High
RFBafflehigh.jpg
FB High
RFFBhigh.jpg
Last edited by bswisher on March 23rd, 2018, 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Current Smokers, Brinkman ECB, Masterbuilt 30 Analog, SmokeHollow Pro44, Home Built 60gal RF, UDS

Nothing wrong with being stupid as long as you know you're stupid, it's when you're stupid and don't know it that you become dangerous

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » March 23rd, 2018, 10:35 am

We first need to know if it is reverse flow or a standard offset. Good info given above.

It sounds like it is running pretty normal as the top is typically warmer by a bit. Also keep in mind those door thermometers, even the good ones, are guesses at best. I put a remote probe on each grate to get a more accurate reading for my smoker and find they are drastically off from my door dial.