Sprung doors

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
dbear
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Sprung doors

Post by dbear » May 21st, 2018, 10:26 pm

Hey guys, working on a 1000 gallon offset, and a couple of the doors have sprung a bit too much...sticking out about a 1/4" at the bottom horizontal seam. Seems pretty flush about 2/3rds the way down on the vertical seams. I put heavy ratchet straps on the outside seams to close tight, and put some heat with a rosebud across the center of the door and leaving it over night. These doors are already welded to the hinges and the 1/8" flat straps stitched on the vertical seams. Tank thickness is 3/8". Any other tricks to pulling the bottom back in? Thanks in advance.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Sprung doors

Post by Rodcrafter » May 22nd, 2018, 5:24 am

Since you have a rosebud and aren’t afraid to use it. I would try one more thing before moving on to cutting it loose and jacking it back into position.

Heat the same area you were heating on the outside of the door, but apply cold wet rags to the inside of the same area. This can take some time on the first one until you learn what it takes to make it move. This works for large trailer frames and such.

It’s like welding on some steel and coming back and noticing that the ends have come up from the table. The heat can allow the outside to be shaped by the cooler side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Standard Offsets”