Problem with brisket

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
Mmmmm
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Re: Problem with brisket

Post by Mmmmm » January 13th, 2015, 12:44 pm

No two briskets are the same. As someone mentioned earlier you cannot produce consistent brisket if you are cooking by internal temp. I recently had my first dry brisket in a long time because it was an oddball. I've always told anyone who asked to cook until tender regardless of internal temp, which as we all know usually happens around 195-205. This particular brisket was getting tender but still was somewhat resistant at an IT of 210 in most places and I did it... I CHICKENED OUT! I pulled that sucker off before it was tender and ended up with a dry brisket. I was telling one of my BBQ buddies this story and he told me, "what do you think the internal temp of those delicious pot roasts your mom made for Sunday lunch were after being in an oven for 14 hours at 275? You need to use an awl instead of a thermometer to probe for tenderness so you can't chicken out." He had a very real point and I think the dry brisket was my fault after all.

This to me is the fascinating thing about BBQ. Taking a tough, unsavory cut and turning it into something people fight over. I like to find nice briskets but I also like the challenge of learning to produce a good end product from a bad brisket.

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » January 13th, 2015, 1:24 pm

This could be obvious but I still need to ask....how would you address the coke added in if you needed to control the sugar? Is the coke just added for the steam potential ?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Northwoods Traveler
beginner
beginner

Post by Northwoods Traveler » January 13th, 2015, 3:36 pm

Yes mostly for steam or moisture in general. With the lid securely in place it's much harder to dry out the meat. Since the meat is pretty well sealed after 3-5 hours of smoke, little sugar penetrates. That said, the coke probably wouldn't be the best idea for sugar sensitive people. We are smoking hobiysts not pros, but we do 2-6 events for 150-400 people per year. As I said before the coke is a bit of insurance.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » January 13th, 2015, 9:35 pm

I think I will try that with mountain dew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

hank1965
Smokerbuilder
Smokerbuilder

Post by hank1965 » April 29th, 2015, 1:21 am

you guys have all been wonderful I gained much from reading all your answers I too had found franklins youtube stuff it was all great