Gravity Feed ...Starts July 7 2014

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Re: Gravity Feed ...Starts July 7 2014

Post by Puff » September 7th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Hey Big Steve .

I will take a picture tomorrow when I get home from work. It dark out now and have just logged in to read your post. However, picture this. There is a 12" ash box of steel at the top... at this stage it is open... Then the transfer tube is placed on the back edge of the top of this box. The 1/2" steel is the welded around the top is that ash box and it is about 10" tall on three sides BUT...in order to have the four sides equal at the next level, the rear 1/2" plate above the tube needs to be only about 8" tall so they are all now equal at the " 2nd floor" next level so that you can now add the 26" or so of tapered coal chute to that assembly. Eventually the unit in about 4' tall

The space under the transfer tube is also sealed using a 6" long 1/4" piece as wide as the tube to box in the transfer tube to direct flame into the CC and prevent any open space between the firebox and the entrance of the CC .

These dimensions are not the measurements used exactly as I am in the house typing and the project is out by the barn
The picture below is upside down but appears right side up until you click on it.

Picture showing the area of the entrance of the tube into the FB
image.jpg

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

stumpjumper
beginner
beginner

Post by stumpjumper » September 9th, 2014, 5:39 am

I just ordered my plans also. I am planning on using stainless on the exterior. Any tips on the firebox would be appreciated. I have never been able to look at one of these things.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 9th, 2014, 10:03 am

Hi and welcome. The plan will surely help you identify the build but having some familiarity with the cooker previously would have helped me a bunch. I don't have the ability to objectively look at a drawing and recognize what it was trying to tell me but that's me..

Once I had started and a few nudges from the guys here and I was able to move along nicely. The fire box is essentially a 4' tapered tower. The bottom 11" or so is for ash to fall into. A remove able grate above that is where the coals rest and burn. Due to heat the 10" or so is 1/2" steel. The fire and heat are ducted into the cook chamber via a wide tube that transverses the CC. The area above the fire, about 2 foot tall is tapered wider at the bottom and narrower on top . This allows chunks to fall freely into the burn zone as needed. Don't ask me what keeps the entire load from igniting, I'm going on blind faith after that :D
image.jpg

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Big Steve
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Part Time BBQ
KCBS 77033

Post by Big Steve » September 9th, 2014, 1:21 pm

Thanks for the pic. OK, I get the bottom box is essentially the ask pan or box. The box on top is the fire box. The horizontal tube (or is open on the bottom?) transfers heat and smoke from the firebox into the cook chamber. If I'm understanding it right the firebox is open where the transfer tube welds to it. Heat rolls out the bottom and under the transfer tube and "spills out" evenly around the sides of the tube heating the cook chamber. The draft from the exhaust sucks air flow through the inlet air openings on the side of the fire box or ash box, drawing it through the transfer tube then into the cook chamber and out the exhaust stack on top, right? What could be understood by looking at one in 3 minutes takes a lot longer from pictures and plans. Sometimes I guy just needs to walk around it and kick the tires before he gets it. Thanks for your patience with my less than kean understanding of these type of cookers. Good luck with the rest of the build. Happy smoking.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » September 9th, 2014, 6:16 pm

Heck yeah! I thought it was just me but there is a learning curve on each kind of smoker. If I build another one it would be a much simpler and easier job. Same with my tank and trailer build. I could jump right into it.

I'd studied pictures all week long and got a little out if them...once my plans were on the table, They made more sense then ever but....BUT, SEEING IT, watching it, etc...makes all the difference

Yes your comments are correct. There is some expanded metal over the FB end of the transfer tube to keep ash and coals from rolling into the CC .

My exhaust stack tube is arriving tomorrow so I can start to wrap things up on this one. I need to build a place to keep them under cover. There're all too big for a typical 2 1/2 car garage loaded with junk!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » September 9th, 2014, 6:43 pm

Puff, from what I've read about the GF cookers ( I have zero experience with them) the lack of oxygen in the charcoal chute keeps the fire contained to the FB. I think the chute fills with carbon monoxide and can't escape so there's no oxygen for a fire. I have read some horror stories about GF cooker chutes that weren't air tight and the fire ''ran away'' and it was basically a complete meltdown.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 19th, 2014, 10:47 pm

Hey Big T,

It's about 6 weeks since you had posted this and I was reading it again.... You say that by not being air tight, the fire ran away and it turned out to be a complete meltdown? Wow, that's a true horror story alright. That was one of my beginning fears just with the oil tank. Gizmo mentioned runaway grease fire once in a post and it was on my mind the first few smokes. Especially that the first one was those 30 racks o ribs. However your airtight comment clearly explians how this could ignite. I'm glad my fill cover seems to lay so flat and square against the top. I'm using the 1" x 1/8" Nomex on the perimeter for the seal and the toggle to pull it tight. I'd think once the chute lid gets opened for a refill, air might rush upward and help to ignite the dried heated charcoal.

This Box has gotten to be so bulky, tall and heavy that with 8" foam filled casters, I need 4-5 rocking attempts to overcome the 1/4" raised lip on my garage floor from the outside apron. Like rocking a car stuck in the mud or snow but without the motor running!
Was gonna fire it up today but I was cutting and splitting wood all day. The smell of the oak wood insides was starting to get a bit nauseating today
image.jpg
These logs are about 120 lbs each 22-26" diameter
image.jpg
image.jpg
I gathered up a 5 gallon bucket of these saw chips but I think they might have a touch of bar oil mixed in. Thought I'd use them in the pellet tray

golson
beginner
beginner

Post by golson » November 22nd, 2014, 6:04 pm

Keep it coming....

Return to “Smoker Clones”