Horz Reverse Flow Smoker 36L 16" OD pipe build but like ideas suggestions help

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
LeonardK
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
Title: Leonard

Re: Horz Reverse Flow Smoker 36L 16" OD pipe build but like ideas suggestions help

Post by LeonardK » June 30th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Hello Towtruck

That ans surprises me as a solution, but, guess I really got stuck now wanting more rack area to cook on specially briskits 10 hrs or more cooking and like today prepping ribs n butts for 5 hr cook

Trying ideas
Butt: cut up butt like it was country ribs, in pcs... marinate in lime.... cook 3hrs coated with pulverized habanero and salt, foil with frozen cranberry juice maybe some brown sugar

1 Baby Back: marinate w/ fresh juiced limes, cook w/ pepper, foil w/ apricot preserves OR tomato sauce and sage

2 St Louis: cook w/ h pepper, foil w/ pineapple and coconut puree

Feel like playing and almost never till now, wanted to cook salty sweet.... NOT candy sweet tho, more like kettle corn

Many yrs ago I squeezed some lime juice over a really good pc of pecan pie, tasty combination... Lime marinated meat+brown sugar
I know it was a song but wonder if the Lime would really go good w/ coconut and pineapple...... thoughts?
Last edited by LeonardK on June 30th, 2019, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Horz Reverse Flow Smoker 36L 16" OD pipe build but like ideas suggestions help

Post by towtruck » June 30th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Your going to invest as much time re-making that smoker as building a new one. I would add a stack at the top of the chamber and simply plug the old one off for now. Try it with the stack at the top to see if that configuration lets the hot spot escape. If it does not work you only have a hole to plug.

I forget...Have you run this pit with the stack wide open and controlled the temps from the intake only to see if that lets things flow better and even out? If that has been done moving the stack is the next logical step.

LeonardK
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
Title: Leonard

Post by LeonardK » June 30th, 2019, 8:03 pm

Yep already control heat w/ stack open using intake only

BUT really WANTING bigger 20 x 42 INCH COOKING RACK

Investment, front, back, side plates and cover all flat

Has no-one else ever been dis-satisfied with a 16 inch rev flow, and wanted more rack space, wanted more space where most of the heat really is, at the top.....
14 inch Wombat reverse flow.jpg
Looks like with this 14 inch reverse flow they also attempt more rack space

Do you mean I'm uniquely the first?

adding 1.4 cu foot starting w/ vigorous flow, sound like it will work?

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » June 30th, 2019, 8:35 pm

With the reverse design the heat should be fairly even left to right and top to bottom. That is the beauty of the rf design.

It's your pit so do what you want and let us know how it turns out.......could be a winner!!

tmunns
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by tmunns » September 11th, 2019, 8:42 pm

LeonardK- First off it looks great. May I ask how your CC door is sealed? I one of the pics It looks like a lot of smoke escaping?