Insulated firebox

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
smokechac
beginner
beginner

Insulated firebox

Post by smokechac » July 28th, 2012, 6:25 am

I was wondering about the benefits or purpose of insulated fireboxes. I've seen insulated smokers, but does insulating the firebox on an offset smoker and not insulating the smoker actually have benefits?

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Insulated firebox

Post by Gizmo » July 28th, 2012, 8:45 am

I have to believe that insulating the firebox is a good thing - not a requirement - just a good thing.
Edgar is so stingy on fuel for his size that something good HAS to be coming from all that insulation... just my .02 cents worth ... :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

k.a.m.

Post by k.a.m. » July 30th, 2012, 5:15 pm

smokechac, I am with Rick on whether it is needed or just an option. Insulating the firebox on an offset is definitely a plus in colder climates but it certainly is not needed. If you plan on a warming chamber on top the firebox then you cannot really insulate the firebox top and in my opinion this area is where most of your heat loss is so the rest is sort of a waste. In my opinion it will take a very long time to justify the extra cost of an insulated firebox over a non insulated one. The reason being is depending on the cooking chamber and the set up along with the pit masters knowledge of fuel management will play a large part in its efficiency..The only real advantage I can see is if you have folks that hang around the cooker they wont get burnt if they accidentally touch the firebox. :)

Novass

Post by Novass » September 1st, 2012, 1:47 pm

Jambo nuff said

Return to “Standard Offsets”