Need help with sizing...

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Dir-T-Birds

Need help with sizing...

Post by Dir-T-Birds » April 9th, 2011, 7:45 pm

Hello, Im planning a reverse flow trailer build using a lang model 60 with warmer as a reference. 24" diameter pipe, 5' long with a 24" dia. by 24" long firebox. My questions are, how big does the hole between the firebox and the chamber need to be? How much clearance can there be between the baffle and the cooking grate? How big does the gap between the end of the baffle and the chamber need to be?

I plan on using 4" pipe for the stack, will 4' be long enough? How big does the hole between the horizontal chamber and the warmer/vertical smoker need to be? Can this hole be at approximately grate level in the main chamber without causing (stagnant?) problems? Thanks for any and all help.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Re: Need help with sizing...

Post by Frank_Cox » April 9th, 2011, 8:59 pm

Welcome to the site!!!!!
I will send you a PM about sizing for your smoker :mrgreen:

SimplexCoda

Post by SimplexCoda » July 26th, 2011, 10:40 pm

I have the same exact questions. Im using a 155 gallon propane tank for the cooking chamber. My other question was how big would the gap at the end of the baffle opposite the fire box need to be. I was considering putting a damper in it so that it could be adjusted.

smc51
beginner
beginner

Post by smc51 » July 27th, 2011, 4:35 pm

gee, I was looking forward to some good information about these guys builds.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » July 27th, 2011, 7:10 pm

I need to find time to finish the blog post about the baffle plate and stack etc. I just have been too busy to finish it up. Hopefully soon I will get to it.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

k.a.m.

Post by k.a.m. » July 28th, 2011, 7:50 pm

Dir-T-Birds, here are the numbers I came up with based on your dimensions and if I am correct in that your using pipe for your firebox.
A 4" ID stack of 43.20 in.
You will need 33 Sq.in of intake opening.
Your firebox to cooking chamber opening will need to be 87 Sq.in. A half moon cut 15" x 7.5" will give you approximately 88 Sq. in.
You want the R/F plate opening opposite the firebox to at least equal your firebox to cooking chamber opening.
The clearance between the R/F plate and lower grate can be as close as 1" or as far as 5". A Lang starts out at 1" on the firebox side and falls approximately 3'' away from the firebox. I built mine with a 4" clearance and a 1" fall making the far end right at 5". I hope this helps. :)

Return to “Reverse Flow Smokers”