Gravity fed charcoal offset...

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
PetesMeat
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Gravity fed charcoal offset...

Post by PetesMeat » October 31st, 2013, 5:50 pm

Hi Everyone,

Went to visit someone today and he had a really neat gravity fed charcoal fired smoker, similar to a fast eddy in size and shape, but with a gravity fed burner he runs on heat beads.

Ive just started welding up the cooking chamber for my smoker and im thinking, its not too late to turn that into a gravity fed. I really love the idea of the gravity fed, just fill it up and leave it. The finished unit would be smaller and by all accounts, they burn for hours and hours. My thought is I could just build the firebox assembly onto one end of the smoker, maybe as a separate unit for easy removal.

My question is, is there any disadvantage to this system? I dont see any section on the forum here for gravity fed smokers, are they not that popular?

Also all the gravity fed smokers ive seen have been an upright type design, whereas mine would be more of a traditional reverse flow type design. Would this even work, or would there not be enough heat? Im wondering how big id have to make the chute the charocoal comes down and how big the burning area would need to be.

All good questions. Whats the prognosis, what do people think about these smokers?

Pete.

PetesMeat
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Re: Gravity fed charcoal offset...

Post by PetesMeat » October 31st, 2013, 7:30 pm

Like this
Attachments
image-4212649353.jpg

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » October 31st, 2013, 7:39 pm

I don't think the chute capacity/fire size would be too compatible with an offset personally. That gravity fed option works great in a cabinet style that can be heated with a smaller fire core though… like a stumps … just my personal opinion…. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » October 31st, 2013, 9:28 pm

I always say, it's just metal... build it and see how it works! :beer:

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » November 1st, 2013, 6:06 am

It sounds like to me it would work but it would require a FB for the burning charcoal probably about 10" square, use a 15 to 25 CFM fan system to keep the temp up, then the chute would need to taper up to about 6" with an over all height of 5'. That should hold enough fuel to burn 4 or 6 hours. I would say this CC should be thick if not insulated, and maybe under a cover so the rain wouldn't shut it down if it started. That is just guessing because I haven't done it, but from what I've learned.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

PetesMeat
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by PetesMeat » November 1st, 2013, 8:47 am

I was thinking id make the chute hit of 5x5 steel box or similar and run it, if it only lasts four hours il make it taller!

I'm also hoping if the draw is strong enough it wouldn't need a fan.... I might make the burner first and make it a separate item and bolt it on, so if it turns out not to work I can take it off and hide it somewhere.

Pete

El Gato
Expert
Expert
Title: HKU university
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by El Gato » November 1st, 2013, 11:08 am

hide it somewhere
NOW THAT IS FUNNY!!!!