Smoked Venison

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
MattS
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: 'bout yerself

Smoked Venison

Post by MattS » August 7th, 2011, 6:03 pm

I had to use my new UDS this weekend for something. So I grabbed a few bags of deer from the freezer. Most people have a hard time smoking deer because it dries out real easy. I always had that problem as well until I figured it out. Here is how I smoke deer and its always a guaranteed hit.

BTW, I absolutely love the UDS. Easiest smoker I have ever used.

Anyway, back to the smoke. I don't know what I grabbed as far as the deer roasts. Might have been off a leg or a loin. It really doesn't matter smoking it this way as all ends up juicy and tender. One thing with venison is that since it doesn't really have any fat in the meat, it gets up to temp quick. So keep the smoker temp down to the 210 range. I put these three roast on and smoked them till the temp got up to 145-150. That took about 3-3.5 hours.

Once they get up to that temp I put them in a pan and pour a liquid of your choice in there. I usually use beer by its self but you can let you imagination run with it. Then keeping the temps low, take the meat up to 165. At that point the meat is done. NEVER smoke or cook deer to any temps over 165 because it will get dry and tough. You can pull the deer off anywhere between 155-165 and move onto this next step.

Once the venison hits that 155-165 range, I take the meat and slice it up. Then its back in the pan, more liquid added, cover in foil and back on the smoker for about 45 minutes to an hour. Today I put some cider vinegar and maple surup in the sliced meat.

After its sat in the smoker for a bit, all those juices soak back into the meat for awesome goodness. Usually I just take the sliced meat and make sandwiches with it, but everything was so tender I just took all the sliced venison and pulled it all. It came apart with ease and was oh so good.

Hope y'all get to try this. If you need some deer, stop by and I will give you some. I still have a freezer full and the season is about to begin.

300gal RF w/ Propane Assist Firebox
24" CampChef SmokeVault
UDS

MattS
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: 'bout yerself

Re: Smoked Venison

Post by MattS » August 7th, 2011, 6:15 pm

money shot

300gal RF w/ Propane Assist Firebox
24" CampChef SmokeVault
UDS

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » August 7th, 2011, 6:23 pm

Holy crap matt that looks great! memphis style too! that will also work for goose breasts too. way to go and thanks for makin me hungry again LOL :-bd

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » August 7th, 2011, 6:31 pm

Thanks for the tips Matt, the last venison I smoked came out really dry, gonna have to try it this way next time.

Looks Great!!!!

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

HARRY BARKER
Expert
Expert
Title: Member

Post by HARRY BARKER » January 16th, 2012, 5:41 pm

good info :LG:

Image Image

Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Post by Gizmo » January 16th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Deer smackin good - Thanks for the tips!

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » January 16th, 2012, 8:08 pm

Dang that really looks great....Me and Frank will be coming thru your state at the end of February.....so you had better not be teasing about having some ready!!!! :LG: :kewl:

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Can do
beginner
beginner

Post by Can do » December 9th, 2015, 7:08 pm

Il'l have to give it a try. Had a bad experience making venison on my grill..........using indirect heat #-o way too dry 8-x

BitBucket
Wants More tools
Wants More tools
Title: Smoker noob
BBQ Comp Team Name: I like to cook for crowds, but I'm not sure I'll ever compete.

Post by BitBucket » December 9th, 2015, 8:08 pm

As a noob backyard cook about 5 years ago I ruined a beautiful piece of moose roast on a pellet grill before I knew any better. I had a great smoke ring but the conversion from roast to jerky ball (which was completely my fault) was pretty embarrassing. I still ate it, and it had good smoke and flavor, but fell into the overcooking trap.

This looks so good that if I get my hands on any more moose I'm going to have to try to win back my pride. I'm retired from flailing the woods personally, but wild beast parts still sometimes find their way to me.

--
My motto on building smokers: “It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop” ~ Confucius

Return to “FOOD!”