half moon calculation question

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Bagman
beginner
beginner

half moon calculation question

Post by Bagman » January 21st, 2014, 8:21 am

Good morning. Have built a traditional offset in the past, and am currently building a RF smoker. I have a question regarding the calculation of the size of the firebox to CC opening. The calculator states 10.9 inches for half moon or 46.66 sq inches. I suck in math, but common sense tells me if i make the top straight opening 10.9 inches, and just carve out a half moon so to speak, I dont see how that can equal 46.66 sq inches. I am thinking I should have paid a tad more attention in geometry class. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: half moon calculation question

Post by Rodcrafter » January 21st, 2014, 9:02 am

Here is a link to see if this will help you, just fill in the blanks and see how this goes.
http://www.handymath.com/cgi-bin/arc18.cgi?submit=Entry

One other point, square inches are just multiplying the 2 dimensions. Your question 10.9" x 5" if both lines were parallel would equal 54.5. So since one is on a radius it would be cutting off some of the area. So as a quick reference you can use this square method knowing it will get you close. This is the best I could do with out knowing the diameter of you CC.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Bagman
beginner
beginner

Post by Bagman » January 21st, 2014, 11:18 am

Thank you for the link and the help. I just took a sheet of paper and made 1" squares on it and drew it out to get the proper square inch dimensions. I guess in my mind i needed to physically see it LOL. Since this is my first reverse flow build, I just want to make sure everything is close to perfect. Thanks again!

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » January 21st, 2014, 12:50 pm

You can also use a trapezoid instead of a half moon. Much easier to calculate

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination