The Miracle of the Rest

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
MattS
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: 'bout yerself

The Miracle of the Rest

Post by MattS » September 12th, 2011, 9:26 pm

Yesterday was a big day of smokin. At the end of the day I didn't feel like pulling 8 butts. So I took them all and wrapped them up real tight in foil, put them all in one big cooler, packed more foil all over them and then covered it all in towels and blankets. That is all inside the cooler. They were 200 degrees when I put them in there around 6 pm yesterday. This morning I went out expecting to have to put them in the fridge. I opened it up real quick and everything was still steamin hot. I closed it back up and let it go. I opened it up tonight around 6:30 and still steaming. All the butts were still hot to touch. Amazing!! We all know that wrapping and letting rest while well insulated will let the meat continue to cook and render the fats. When I put the butts in the cooler last night, their wasn't much running out. When I pulled them out of the cooler tonight, there was an inch of grease in the bottom of the cooler. I could really tell while pulling it. A lot less fat then I am used to. I was amazed.

300gal RF w/ Propane Assist Firebox
24" CampChef SmokeVault
UDS

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Re: The Miracle of the Rest

Post by Frank_Cox » September 12th, 2011, 9:31 pm

wow man! that's really cool! sounds good to me as long as they stay above 145*F alls good! :-bd

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » September 12th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Yes you are 100% correct on the resting deal.

Matt, I am posting this for the future viewers benefit by saying that staying above 140 is of utmost importance. The last thing anyone wants is a bad case of the splosions.....for the next two days after catching a little bacteria.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

MattS
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel
Title: 'bout yerself

Post by MattS » September 12th, 2011, 9:59 pm

It was definitely over 145, I was worried about that but all is good and so is the pork.. very good.

300gal RF w/ Propane Assist Firebox
24" CampChef SmokeVault
UDS

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » September 12th, 2011, 10:02 pm

That rest period is really what makes the difference between good and great pulled pork for sure!

Return to “FOOD!”