Cutting Cooking Chamber Questions

Tips and tricks for everything related to finishing your smoker.
dbear
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Cutting Cooking Chamber Questions

Post by dbear » December 19th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Hey guys..... I am currently starting my RF trailer build, and I have some questions about cutting apart my tank for the cooking chamber. I am building a square door on a round pipe style smoker. I have already cut the barrel ends off, so I basically have a 53" long piece of 24" pipe. I am planning on cutting the tank horizontally at about 11 o'clock and horizontally at about 8 o'clock or so. My main question is should I brace the sides before cutting the tank out or actually tack some ends on first?? I thought bracing it at about 10 o'clock and 7 o'clock or so with square tubing or angle iron, but didn't know if this would be enough to keep the tank in round shape. Doing it this way, it would be easier making the horizontal cuts.... this smoker is similiar to TuscaloosaQ's style square front smoker. Thanks for any help you can provide.

********Sorry.....this is a double post, for I didn't see this sub-forum. Not sure how to delete or move the other one, so I hope I don't make anyone mad. If someone can delete the other, I would appreciate it.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Cutting Cooking Chamber Questions

Post by Rodcrafter » December 20th, 2014, 2:43 pm

Yes tacking some braces in is the way to go. Just for thoughts if you would have left the what you called barrel end on opposite of the FB end it would have given support and served as the portion for the reverse flow to happen. This would have kept you from using part of your CC to make this happen if you would have wanted it to be as long as possible.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Re: Cutting Cooking Chamber Questions

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » December 20th, 2014, 6:40 pm

I too would tack back on one of the ends you cut off to help with stability. Then I would cut out the door 1 foot at a time and add a brace. This will really help with the "spring back" that will happen.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination