Gravity Feed Build Under Way

Smoker Clones are your own version of a commercially available Smoker. Examples are Stumps, Jambo, Backwoods, or any other you want to try to copy.
Yona2015
beginner
beginner
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: TNT Kickin' BBQ

Gravity Feed Build Under Way

Post by Yona2015 » October 28th, 2015, 9:20 am

Got Frank's plans, a bunch of square tubing, some steel plate, and a couple boxes of Ruxul. Stuffed the frame tubing with insulation and started putting the frame together. If I could only weld............... This is going to be a beast to wrestle.

Hun? Do you smell something burning??

Certified KCBS BBQ Judge and Table Captain

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Gravity Feed Build Under Way

Post by Rodcrafter » October 28th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Cool keep up the good work!

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » October 28th, 2015, 8:18 pm

Nice ... It just keeps getting better and better from here.

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

R290
beginner
beginner

Post by R290 » October 30th, 2015, 11:58 am

Good idea to label the plates. I did the same thing. I posted some pics on my thread if you want to look. P.S. I had the metal place cut all my heavy plate.
I would work on making the pieces fit good, as its easier to weld them. The exception will be the fire box. Welding 16ga with a stick welder will bring the suck. (Can be done, look a cooling bars. Just heavy plate clamped to the metal to keep it cooler) My local welding shop rents mig welders for $60 a weekend. Not that you can finish in a weekend

R290
beginner
beginner

Post by R290 » October 30th, 2015, 12:09 pm

Any questions, just ask as I just finished building one

Yona2015
beginner
beginner
BBQ Comp Team Name: TNT Kickin' BBQ

Post by Yona2015 » November 17th, 2015, 10:17 am

R290 wrote:Good idea to label the plates. I did the same thing. I posted some pics on my thread if you want to look. P.S. I had the metal place cut all my heavy plate.
I would work on making the pieces fit good, as its easier to weld them. The exception will be the fire box. Welding 16ga with a stick welder will bring the suck. (Can be done, look a cooling bars. Just heavy plate clamped to the metal to keep it cooler) My local welding shop rents mig welders for $60 a weekend. Not that you can finish in a weekend

Thanks R290, I'm sure I'll take you up on the questions. I would have had the metal place cut everything but their cut fees are outrageous. It would have nearly double the material cost. Cutting disks are far cheaper. May also give the oxy/acet cutter a try. (On scraps of course) I do have a flux core welder but it's a POS! A Job Smart 125 that is impossible to get dialed in and has constant feed issues. I'm having decent luck with the stick. Just keeping it set at the very low end of the 7018 stick use range and taking my time. It ain't pretty, but it works. Thanks for the tip on the cooling bars. I'll definitely give that a try. I'll have to check with the local shops about renting a decent MIG too.

Hun? Do you smell something burning??

Certified KCBS BBQ Judge and Table Captain