Round firebox or to Square firebox.THAT is my question!

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
SAFETYHARBORREDNECK
Expert
Expert
Title: ChefBoyareyoukidding
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...
But if I were,we'd be called:Fatties Smoking Fatties

Round firebox or to Square firebox.THAT is my question!

Post by SAFETYHARBORREDNECK » November 22nd, 2015, 9:10 am

gettin ready to start a 120 propane tank R/F build and trying to decide if I should go with the round firebox(the scrap yard where I'm getting the tank from has 4 of them for $100 each.Thinking of getting 2 and cutting 1 in 1/3 for the firebox)
or square.
I know,it's almost sacrilege to cut a perfectly good 120,but,I'm also on a budget.
My 2 questions are...
1-what would be a ball park figure be to have someone(since I can't weld) build me a square one?Don't need anything fancy like being insulated or nuthin,just a basic 1/4" thick, roughly 20x20x20 with door.
2-What might be the best way to attach a round firebox?I've seen most people turn them horizontal,but I want mine vertical so I can have a flat top to cook a pot of beans on.
Here's a pic of my buddy's(and yes DC,I have a buddy or 2,lol) 120 R/f hybrid with the setup I'd like.
20151004_110024.jpg
His is attached by a 6-8" round pipe(can't remember the exact measurements,but I'm heading over there in a little bit to cook some ribs on it and watch some Succaneers football,so I'll get exact measurements then.)which seems pretty small(maybe why he goes through so much wood for 1 cook?)
The calculator says I'll need a 10" round FB to CC hole,does that seem correct?
Link to BBQ Pit Calculator
Another question.Should I change the shape of that hole for better airflow???oblong?trapezoid?
Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

NEVER trust a skinny cook!

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Re: Round firebox or to Square firebox.THAT is my question!

Post by Rodcrafter » November 24th, 2015, 6:16 am

I think you should PM FishlessMikey about the FB. If you don't mind someone wearing a skirt makes it. Then as for the throat opening I try to keep it as low as possible so trapezoid is what I tend to do.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » November 24th, 2015, 6:13 pm

:yth:
if you do a round firebox then the diameter of it should match the diameter of the cook chamber. if you do that then you will use an eyeball shaped opening. Pete Mazz has made several useful calculators to help make sure the Dims are correct. you can find them in his signature...
as far as how to mount it I recommend cutting off the endbell on the firebox end of the cook chamber and plating off the end to make the mounting easy
:beer:

Rev.Mike
Expert
Expert

Post by Rev.Mike » November 24th, 2015, 10:18 pm

as OB1 has said :yth:

SAFETYHARBORREDNECK
Expert
Expert
Title: ChefBoyareyoukidding
But if I were,we'd be called:Fatties Smoking Fatties

Post by SAFETYHARBORREDNECK » November 25th, 2015, 12:10 pm

Thanks for the help guys.
Will post the build as it progresses on another thread.

NEVER trust a skinny cook!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » December 13th, 2015, 12:56 am

Just my 2 cents but this would be a great question for the person who is going to do the project for you as it sounds like the correct answer comes down to cost.

They will have to decide if it it more cost effective to cut a sheet of plate and weld square or cut up a $100 tank and put a door on it. It might be pretty close as that amount of plate should be less than $100 so then it is just down to labor.

Personally, I will cut and weld plate any day as opposed to working with an old tank (with rust/old paint/fit issues) but that is just my opinion....ask the guy welding if for you for HIS opinion as it may be different. How much prep are you going to do? Running a bead is pretty cheap (if all he has to do is weld it) but if he has to cut and fit on a tank that is gonna cost you on the labor.

JohnBFryJr
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by JohnBFryJr » December 13th, 2015, 1:13 pm

I really like the way mine came out except the hinges are to close the the cook chamber and it will guillotine you if you don't have it leveled right. The air vent is in the wrong location but it works nice as a window so you don't have to open the cooker. I just open the fire drawer a little and it draws nice. The drawer is just the cut off piece of tank flipped and dropped down in the fb. If I had the money I would have gone with square just for the fact of less redneck engineering.

http://www.smokerbuilder.com/forums/vie ... =13&t=3904