Is a high temp grill on a reverse flow smoker possible?

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Toptrader
beginner
beginner

Is a high temp grill on a reverse flow smoker possible?

Post by Toptrader » August 22nd, 2016, 12:01 am

I am in the process of building my first reverse airflow smoker. My build uses concepts from Lang and horizon smokers. I went to lonestargrillz.com. Lonestar has a removable topplate on the firebox, where the high heat can travel into a warmer box-like structure for grilling at high Temps. This remove able topplate also as two round air-vents for a warming cabinet. I realize if I removed the firebox topplate for grilling I would not be able.to use the reverse flow function at.the same time. With all the time and money spent my biggest priority is the reverse flow function to work properly. So, with all that being said, my question is if I have a removeable topplate on the firebox would this affect the reverse flow function of air flow when the topplate of the firebox is on the firebox. Main concern will I loose heat and air through this.closed topplate? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Re: Is a high temp grill on a reverse flow smoker possible?

Post by Pete Mazz » August 22nd, 2016, 3:36 am

Short answer is "probably". There is so much heat acting on the top of the FB I'd be concerned about it warping. Another option for an offset is to make up a charcoal basket that sits under a cooking grate in the main chamber.

And... Welcome!

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » August 22nd, 2016, 5:54 am

:welcome: To the crew!

Since you can have a WC above the FB and allowing air directly into it, without that effecting the main CC, the small amount of air you loose when the plate is in place should not effect the function at all. As Pete said the plate may warp if it isn't 1/2" or reinforced.

jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » August 22nd, 2016, 6:46 am

:welcome: :welcome:

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 23rd, 2016, 12:42 am

I have 12 cast iron pans, a few griddles, some stainless saucepans, some Pyrex and a handful of cookie sheets.

My point? To get a desired effect it is most efficient to use the proper pan. Your smoker is similar. You can do a lot with it but make it do too many things and the comrromises leave you with an "ok" smoker and and "ok" hot grill. I would rather have an awesome smoker and an awesome grill. Mine are separate units and each one performs perfectly.

My shop teacher, long ago, gave us one rule in our design so school projects: keep it simple.

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » August 23rd, 2016, 1:04 am

:welcome:

My metal tech teacher used an extra S & called it K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid!) =))

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Toptrader
beginner
beginner

Post by Toptrader » August 23rd, 2016, 11:31 am

Thanks all for your thoughts. My goal is to have a great reverse flow smoker. I like to grill my burgers and steak with a high heat wood fire . Just wanted to maximize the wood from fire box. Steel prices got me over budget . But I want it to be as perfect as possible, so guess I need to build a separate unit for the high temp grill on the trailer. Originally was thinking the firebox is 3/8" thick, the warming/grill box would be 1/4" thick and separate the firebox from the warming box with a 2" tube frame to prevent warping. If there is a better way I am all ears. Thanks all.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » August 23rd, 2016, 11:50 am

The steel plate should be plenty, what are you going to do with the 2" tube?

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » August 23rd, 2016, 12:57 pm

If you posted pictures or a drawing of your smoker it would help understand your concept.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 23rd, 2016, 11:10 pm

3/8 for a firebox is awesome but you could get by with 1/4. You will most likely use a fire basket which keeps fire away from direct contact with the walls. Keep the ash cleaned out and it will last for a lifetime. Thicker would hold heat a bit better but is, for me at least, a bear to work with.

Mine is all 1/4 inch (cook chamber, warmer box and firebox) and warping has never been an issue. I did insulate my firebox and skin it with 12g however.

Toptrader
beginner
beginner

Post by Toptrader » August 24th, 2016, 6:57 am

Rod crafter, thanks for you reply. About the 2" tube go to lonestargrillz warming oven video. When the wb is opened, the bottom rack is removed to access the removal of the lid into the fb. That area looks recessed. Like either angle iron or a tube frame to separate the top of fb from the bottom of wb. Of course it is totally sealed with a weld.

Toptrader
beginner
beginner

Post by Toptrader » August 24th, 2016, 7:15 am

Blue catfish, thx for your interest. Go to lonestargrillz warming oven video. Same idea as that set-up, except the main cook chamber would be reverse flow.

Toptrader
beginner
beginner

Post by Toptrader » August 24th, 2016, 7:18 am

Dirty tires what is 12g? Thanks for your input.

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » August 24th, 2016, 7:50 am

He was talking about 12 gauge steel it is thin like 1/8"

Making memories.

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » August 24th, 2016, 9:14 am

When I set out to build my cooker One of the most important features to me was to able to use it for grilling purposes as well. I decided to make my baffle plate removable, and built a coal rack that I place inside whenever I want to grill. It sits about 3 inches off the bottom so I get good airflow underneath the fire. I used some thin gauge sheet metal to make an ash pan that sits on the bottom.Then I just place meat on the upper level racks to keep it from burning. I ended up with a hybrid smoker / grill that works great no matter what I'm doing. The only thing is that I can't run both modes at the same time. I had to choose my poison..2 cookers for different modes at the same time or 1 cooker for different modes at different times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke em if ya got em.

bluecatfish
Expert
Expert

Post by bluecatfish » August 24th, 2016, 12:25 pm

Thanks, Mo Smoke, I checked it out. Looks good. I didn't see a stop on the sliding racks, I think I would have one just in case I got carried away sliding them out.

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » August 24th, 2016, 2:20 pm

True.. No stops... But there are some tip guards close to the edge that keep the racks from falling when I pull them out to the end so I always have the chance to stop before I make a mistake and pull the racks all the way out.

Smoke em if ya got em.

Toptrader
beginner
beginner

Post by Toptrader » August 24th, 2016, 9:08 pm

Thanks for the post MoSmoke. I like your idea of a removable baffle plate. It was my understanding from research that the baffle should be sealed airtight to prevent smoke and heat from escaping from the sides to go straight out the exhaust . Has that ever been an issue for you when doing low and slow smoking?

Toptrader
beginner
beginner

Post by Toptrader » August 24th, 2016, 9:12 pm

Rod crafter, duh, your right thx

Toptrader
beginner
beginner

Post by Toptrader » August 24th, 2016, 10:44 pm

Hey rod crafter. I saw the picture of your setup. Really nice. I can't make the red handles on your doors. What did you make the handles from?

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » August 25th, 2016, 10:12 pm

I just buy the spring part, then use 1/2" round stock and either bend it to the shape and size or use it straight and put plates on each end. That's really easier than it looks.

Making memories.

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » August 27th, 2016, 9:06 am

Top.. I never have problems with low and slow cooking. Having the baffle plate sealed tight along with insulation around the doors probably makes for the most efficient setup possible. But mine drafts very well and maintains temps with no problem. You have to work hard to screw up the reverse flow concept.

Smoke em if ya got em.