Possible to make a skinny mini?

Also called Stump's Clone.
jd-santaclarita

Possible to make a skinny mini?

Post by jd-santaclarita » December 20th, 2017, 12:00 am

Hi All - I've almost convinced myself to take the plunge and build a mini gf. I'm a noob with very simplistic welding skills and i'd like to do the project to increase my skills and end up with a nice upgrade to my UDS. My first main issue is the size. I'd need to roll it from the side of house to the backyard (only like 10' distance) but on the side walkway I have to pass my A/C unit which only gives me about 25"-26" or so between A/C and the fence to try to roll it through. I'd need to do this every time I wanted to cook, then put it back the next day. Given my noob fab skills and first time I'd be building from a set of plans, I'm a little nervous to go rogue.

How hard would it be to cut the depth down to fit? As-is its ~30" from what I've been told. Are there structural things I'd have to consider or would it be as simple as making the couple tube lengths a few inches shorter and everything else is all good and would be same measurements?

Are there any other issues I should worry about cutting the depth? Just a bad idea altogether?

Thanks all,
JD

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Possible to make a skinny mini?

Post by Big T » December 20th, 2017, 12:25 am

I would call Frank and ask him. It's probably do-able but he could tell you for sure. There should be a phone number on the smokerplans.net home page that you can call with any questions that you may have.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » December 20th, 2017, 3:28 am

Or you could make the ultimate sacrifice... get rid of the A/C... =))

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » December 20th, 2017, 9:35 am

I think we may have been emailing back and forth a little bit. as far as the design goes you can change it to whatever size you want as long as you can figure out the changes...
(Tom and I can be a little bit of assistance via phone.... Best effort kinda thing)
The other thing to keep in mind is the overall cook chamber volume really shouldn't change more than 10%-15% of the plans.
:beer:

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » December 20th, 2017, 5:26 pm

Actually if you think about it you could make the cook chamber narrower but longer that would sort out the cc volume and allow you to navigate past the A/C. Just be mindful of the thing tipping over if it is too skinny in one direction.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Squiggle
Expert
Expert
Title: Reformed non-smoker!

Post by Squiggle » December 22nd, 2017, 3:40 am

:yth:

Formerly known as "Hey you there in the bushes!"

Rodcrafter
Title: Member

Post by Rodcrafter » December 27th, 2017, 7:59 am

:oopssign:

Got to watch out for those :oopssign:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”