Insulation and tube size question

Also called Stump's Clone.
brockmanes1
beginner
beginner

Insulation and tube size question

Post by brockmanes1 » April 5th, 2018, 5:13 pm

I’m going to build the mini gf. I’m going to use 1/8 steel for inside and outside paneling. I found ceramic fiber blankets that are 2in thick. I’m going to use 1/8 thick tube but was maybe going to use 1in square tubing instead of 1 1/2in to cut down in weight and since I can compress the ceramic insulation.
Does anyone have experience with ceramic insulation? And is there any Benifits that you’ve found to using it over the standard rock wool typically used?
Does anyone see any problems using the 1in square tubing instead of 1 1/2 since I’m using 1/8 plate for interior and exterior?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Insulation and tube size question

Post by Big T » April 5th, 2018, 7:55 pm

I haven't built a GF but I believe that guys use the rock wool because of the cost difference. One thing that comes to mind with using 1'' tubing is that it might be a little harder to get the insulation inside of the tubing without having to pack it in there.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 5th, 2018, 11:32 pm

I used ceramic insulation on the firebox of my reverse flow. I couldn’t find rock wool so went with the ceramic as it had just a tad better rating. It worked great for me and was easy to cut and work with. I would be careful about compressing it (or any insulation) as it will loose a percentage of its insulating properties. Might be better splitting it rather than compressing. For the record, they make a 1 inch ceramic insulation.

Just my 2 cents, but you will only save 0.44 pound/foot by using the smaller tube (assumed 0.065 for both). I don’t know how many feet you need but even if you use 3 whole sticks (60feet) you are only reducing 25 pounds. I’m not sure all the re-calculations from the plans would be worth the headache for me. However, I don’t know what you motivation is so it could be.

brockmanes1
beginner
beginner

Post by brockmanes1 » April 6th, 2018, 12:58 am

I appreciate the input. I didn’t Go that far yet as to calculate pound per foot. I thought it would have been more. I guess that little bit of weight doesn’t mean much when I’m covering it all in 1/8in panels.
Yeah they have various thickness ceramic insulation but I thought the guy said it can be compressed. I may just use it in the firebox area only.

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Post by mp4 » April 6th, 2018, 3:41 am

I had some laying around so I used it to fill the gap around the firebox/chute. Some compression is ok, but squashing it thin is probably not.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » April 6th, 2018, 6:39 am

I like it already. This rascal will be heavy but last forever.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

brockmanes1
beginner
beginner

Post by brockmanes1 » April 6th, 2018, 9:06 am

Yeah it’s going to be a beast! Any suggestions on good casters, lol? I’m also going to space the firebox maybe an extra 1-1.5in away from the cooking chamber to keep to keep the heat transfer down to the inside cooking chamber (keeping more even temps). From what I’ve read on some threads, some guys are commenting on higher temp on the firebox side. Have any of you noticed this on their builds?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 6th, 2018, 12:06 pm

Grainger is a good place to start looking for casters. You can go solid steel or get them with non mar wheels so as not to damage the patio floor. Remember the wheel only has to support 1/4 of the total weight so a 1000 lb smoker can technically use 250lb rated wheels. I would go a bit heavier than that for shock loading a a degree of safety however. Don’t skimp on the wheels....your toes depend on them!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » April 6th, 2018, 10:11 pm

:yth: I've seen several builds were guys bought cheap casters to save a few bucks only to have them fail and have to buy the more expensive ones anyway.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » April 7th, 2018, 12:07 am

:yth: Don't skimp on wheels, insulation and door gasketing. Especially on a GF, it will come back and bite you.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford